Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Japanese Door Scene

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
clearrose polycounter lvl 9
Hello, poly count ^_^ ! I'm a college student just started to take classes for game art. Besides a little bit of personal study game art is still new to me and I'm still have allot to learn ^_^ !

Anyways, for this semester I've taken an environment class and our first assignment is a door with both diffuse and normal maps, my instructor said to build up around create a little scene and most of all be creative. Textures are a combination between photos and sculpted than baked.

heres what I've gotten:

Stock used as Reference: http://toshema.deviantart.com/favourites/47039014#/d1bhcki

Renders so far:

Japdoorwip2.jpg

Japdoorwip4.jpg

JapDoorwip6.jpg

Some of my maps so far:

Stonewall_Side_aomap.png

Stonewall_side_normalmap.jpg

Shanghai_door.png

Shanghai_door_NRM.png

I hope this is ok..... I am planning to add a stone pathway to the door, lots of vegetation, and the wall behind the door is going to be a stink wall. I'm just not sure if I want to add an curve at the top or keep it straight.

Replies

• Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    For your first environment it is a good start.

For the door how did you make the normal map? It looks like you just got a photo of a door and ran it through a normal map filter.

It really isn't something suitable to do that for. Normal map filters are for surface details, you should be modelling a high poly and baking it to a low poly.
  • clearrose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzz wrote: »
    For your first environment it is a good start.

For the door how did you make the normal map? It looks like you just got a photo of a door and ran it through a normal map filter.

It really isn't something suitable to do that for. Normal map filters are for surface details, you should be modelling a high poly and baking it to a low poly.

OK, I did do that with the stone wall. I guess I wasn't sure if using a photo to create normals was acceptable or not. I guess that comes along with being a novice.

Anyways I went back and re-did my door and baked more my scene. I hope that this is an improvement?

BTW, Just to clarify something here technically it's my forth environment but 2 were hi-poly and weren't build with games in mind. While was personally practice before I started my class. This environment however is my first serious try to make the environment game standard. (I'm sorry for any grammar issues in my writing BTW)

Anyways, heres my progress:

JapDoorwip7.jpg

JapDooraomap.jpg

JapDoornormalmap.jpg

JdoorSideaomap.jpg

JdoorSidenormalmap.jpg

Wall2aomap.jpg

Wall2normalmap.jpg
  • clearrose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres some more progress I made during class !! I'm ready to and waiting for some critique ^_^, trust I've taken hard crits before.

JapDoorwip9.jpg
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    That's looking pretty sweet, the new door looks great.

I'd say the rock texture could use some work. At the front it looks like a picture of some rough rock bent over a low wall, while the main wall looks a little soft in my view.
  • clearrose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild wrote: »
    That's looking pretty sweet, the new door looks great.

I'd say the rock texture could use some work. At the front it looks like a picture of some rough rock bent over a low wall, while the main wall looks a little soft in my view.

Thanks for the advice ^_^ JamesWild, I will go and back sculpt to add more crispness to the wall and fix the stonewall.
  • clearrose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still want to do more with this, but we are moving on to another assignment for class. Heres a final render and the wireframe:

Japdoormaya.png

JapDoorwireframe.png

JapDoorRnder4Final.png .
  • clearrose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres my video for the scene:

Direct Link: https://vimeo.com/49611088

Made in Maya, Zbrush, topogun, and photoshop.
    stock referenced by Almudena-stock.com: toshema.deviantart.com/favourites/47039014#/d1bhcki

Music by: Kevin Mcleod: incompetech.com/
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Great start, but there's a ton of work needed for this to actually be good for a game engine. I love Asian scenes so that's why I'm giving you my 2 cents, and cause your a student.

You HAVE to better utilize your UV space. All that unused UV space is detrimental in a game production. The resources are limited and you need to optimize the space that you have in your UV's to be as efficient as possible. Your art director will also kick your ass for having wasted so much UV space. I know this may not be for a game and just for portfolio, but don't you want to get in the habit for your future job opportunities / possibilities?

Also, don't cop out right away to using crazybump and nDo on everything. Make a base normal map that you sculpt or model out personally, with just the large forms in it. THEN take a photo or your diffuse and bake/ overlay / combine it onto that normal map in photoshop.

So, get that stuff down, and take what you learned here into your next piece, or continue this one. It really doesn't look bad for a 1st environment!
  • clearrose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus wrote: »
    Great start, but there's a ton of work needed for this to actually be good for a game engine. I love Asian scenes so that's why I'm giving you my 2 cents, and cause your a student.

You HAVE to better utilize your UV space. All that unused UV space is detrimental in a game production. The resources are limited and you need to optimize the space that you have in your UV's to be as efficient as possible. Your art director will also kick your ass for having wasted so much UV space. I know this may not be for a game and just for portfolio, but don't you want to get in the habit for your future job opportunities / possibilities?

Also, don't cop out right away to using crazybump and nDo on everything. Make a base normal map that you sculpt or model out personally, with just the large forms in it. THEN take a photo or your diffuse and bake/ overlay / combine it onto that normal map in photoshop.

So, get that stuff down, and take what you learned here into your next piece, or continue this one. It really doesn't look bad for a 1st environment!

Thanks, I wasn't sure if I had to put all the uvs into one map for environments or not. But I will definitely remember "Don't waste uv space". Also I will definitely try to ulitze crazy/ndo by combining and baking them.

Thanks sooo much for the advice. I was starting to wonder that my work was soo bad that everyone felt sorry for me and didn't say anything because they didn't want to make me feel bad. I've gotten suger coating before and i hate it. Because it doesn't help me any artistically at all.

Anyways, sorry for the rant it has nothing to do with you guys.
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    Another thing that's not quite apparent in the scene but equally important is RESEARCH. Your knowledge will show through the piece. I'll elaborate on this a little more.

The thread reads "Japanese Door Scene" and from the very first image, I could already see a major error - circular doorways was practiced by the ancient Chinese, never by the Japanese. Same with the texture for the door; this time it is the latticework (again, Chinese not Japanese) giving it away.

I know this was just a class assignment, so whatever. But when making portfolio pieces, it's important to research your subjects in detail.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    clearrose wrote: »
    Thanks, I wasn't sure if I had to put all the uvs into one map for environments or not. But I will definitely remember "Don't waste uv space". Also I will definitely try to ulitze crazy/ndo by combining and baking them.

Thanks sooo much for the advice. I was starting to wonder that my work was soo bad that everyone felt sorry for me and didn't say anything because they didn't want to make me feel bad. I've gotten suger coating before and i hate it. Because it doesn't help me any artistically at all.

Anyways, sorry for the rant it has nothing to do with you guys.

No problem man - that's what we're all here for. No bullshitting, just helping each other learn.