Home Technical Talk

How to create text that will show up in a normal map [Maya]

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
I understand how to use Maya's text tool, but when I create the text I find it difficult to create the taper needed for it to bake into a normal map. Does anybody know of an easy way to create text that will work well for baking without having to hand tweak every letter?

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there a specific reason you need to model it? It should be a lot faster to do in photoshop/crazybump/ndo/etc
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    That is a good point. I have been meaning to mess around with NDO2, which I am guessing would get the results I need.

This project is for my modeling class which needs all the detail in a final high poly model. Once I hand it in I plan on doing a low poly and texture on my own, so I basically have to model everything.

Would it be easier just to put the regular text in the high poly for my class, and then do the text for my low poly in NDO2 on my own?
  • Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    What you can do, is make the text as a flat model (planar), then grab all the outside edges, extrude them down and out (remember to do this in local space, it should default to that immediately after you extrude; blue will be up or down, and green should point outwards (or red, I don't know)). Add edge loops as needed, flatten bits as needed (if you need it to blend in), then deform the resulting mesh to whatever you want.