Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Archer Assassin

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ralusek polycounter lvl 10
This was started for Mixamo contest, but work got in the way before I could do anything meaningful. Looking for C&C.

Background is that this species lives mostly in the shadows of canopy, swamp, and caverns. They are brutal assassins and expert archers.

Most up to date WIP:
3oKcu.jpg

Slightly more dated:
cSe7f.jpg

Thanks for input :)

Replies

• SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    I guess you made it so muscles' fibers can be seen through a skin, but then i must point something out

pectoralis major muscle originates from the clavicle, sternum and some rib cartilages, so there is no way your pectoralis would sack like that

but if he is so thin, i'd say anorexic, then why he even have these muscles visible and they are so developed?

Why cant i see any ribs attached to the visible part of the sternum of the ribcage? If everything else is visible, im sure i should be able to see some ribs, right?

And why clavicles are of some strange shape? They are definitely rather more linear in shape, not that curved.

Do you know, that male pelvis is the narrower region of the torso? Your's torso is at least women's width, because its almost as wide as shoulders

And your abdominal muscle's fibers fan out in a different directions, although rectus abdominis fibers are moving from top to bottom and origin of the muscles is xiphoid process and lower ribs, so if muscle is that developed on that anorexic body would even show, there are definetely will be part of the muscle on those ribs

Jus my 2 cents, im no expert in anatomy(yet :P)
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the critique.

Ya the answer to the questions regarding anatomy is that this character is not human. I do not want him to have the same muscles as a human, I just want them to feel familiar. I don't want him to be proportioned completely human, just familiar.

As far as the muscles being so visible, I've been playing around with varied degrees of this and am still not sure if I like them. In my head, I wanted a creature with an extremely high metabolism and unnatural strength. Something that had very little reserves and essentially had to be hunting all the time.

But you'll notice that the legs are still only loosely formed, but if I leave the core how it is (i.e. very developed muscles with little fat/skin covering their form), then I'll have to do the same treatment to the body for it to look right imo.

Anyways, thanks again for the feedback and let me know if you're still not "buying" his look.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    if you want him to be a hunter, then maybe you are looking for a body like that of a Tarzan, low body-fat, developed, but not overdeveloped muscles, lean and mean hunter machine :)

muscles in the thorax and abdominal area are barely visible through skin, but arms and legs are in a great shape
    Disney_tarzan_1024.jpg