Home Unreal Engine

Normal map issues

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Benjam polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys,

Im having a bit of trouble with my normal maps with UDK, I have baked the normal map from a high poly model in Maya and have it saved as a targa file.

When i apply it to the wall instead of getting a good result like i did in maya its really low intensity and when i multiply it to strengthen it the diffuse texture is darkened. The whole darkening issue is happening with all the walls i have applied normal maps to (any particular reason for this?)

I also have these really weird shading effects when i have applied my normal maps the shading between the archway and the window is so obvious. Is there any particular reason for this. I have posted up a photo of my shader network and the issues im having.

217875_10151058978977986_898562617_n.jpg

324302_10151058985867986_2058450365_o.jpg

415119_10151059008867986_382638243_o.jpg

329989_10151058995937986_1639720920_o.jpg

I was thinking maybe i am applying it wrong or importing it wrong? I have tried a couple of different approaches for example at present it loks better than what it was before before i scoured the net for answers and did some testing on it. The original result i was after ended up darkening the diffuse texture which was not really ideal. Has anyone ever come across this problem before i would really appreciate some help on this it has been killing me the last couple of days

Thanks guys:)

Replies

• o2_is_alright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you import your normal map into UDK you need to make sure to change the format from TC_Default to TC_Normalmap and also check the "flip green channel" checkbox.
    Also, personally I never really use the DiffusePower slot. If the brightness/levels of the diffuse texture needs tweaking just fix that with some add, multiply, or power nodes or whatever before connecting it to the diffuse slot.

Hope that helps
  • Benjam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjam polycounter lvl 4
    you my sir are a god and i bow to you. Just tested out your method on one of the walls, seems to work out quite well ill let you know after work today if it works with everything else :D