Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Zelda Environment

Well I've really wanted to dive into a level utilizing CryEngine 3, and I picked the Zelda Wii-U 2011 Tech demo. I think it would be a really good project for me to push my skills passed where they are now. I started with the block out and currently using the video as reference. Any C&C are welcome if anything looks out of line let me know, I tend to overlook things and I know you guys will catch them. I will be updating after class, thanks in advance!

Concept -

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9uYCU8jFiU"]Zelda HD Full Tech Demo E3 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

Renders -

Zelda_Environment_WIP_1.jpg

Zelda_Environment_WIP_2.jpg

Zelda_Environment_WIP_3.jpg

Replies

• BobtheGreatII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BobtheGreatII polygon
    Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!
  • Ron.S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well being close to the end of my quarter will school the projects are all stacking up and coming to an end making it a bit harder to work on personal work. Started to refine the proportions to the level layout, and started to refine the shape of the block-out phase starting with the stairs. There is something about their shape that draws my eyes to them being a starting point, more to come when I get the time.

Zelda_Environment_WIP_6.jpg

stairs.jpg

stair_small.jpg
  • SinisterUrge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its coming alone nicely. They eye is drawn towards the center, perhaps give it a pattern to focus the eye on that area. Are you going for a cell shaded look for this interior?
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    Im not sure those bevels are really necessary. All they're gonna do is jack up the polycount and make it harder for you to apply textures.
  • Ron.S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @SinisterUrge - Thanks for the comments, I will be attempting to try to texture it as close as I can to the video. I have never done anything semi-realistic so this will be my practice, as well as I suck as a texture artist.

@roosterMAP - I will probably make a few iterations and see what functions better, so removing the bevels will be one type. I will be trying to do high poly and low poly and getting all my bakes in correctly.

More to come tonight I will attempt not to be distracted, thanks for the comments and continue to check in and critique please :).