Home Unreal Engine

UDK Help Required - New User

Hi,

New user here, avid reader, but first time posting. :)

I've been involved with 3d for a while as a freelancer, and was hoping to do something with the UDK engine for the iOS platform.

I've downloaded the UDK and installed it, and I've been reading through the documentation, and I'm slowly understanding how it works.

I was wondering if there was a quicker way for me to get up to speed on the iOS development side, any tutorials or books you could recommend.

What I'm trying to do is : I have an animated character in maya, with different animations on different frames, i.e.

frames 1-24 - breathing idle
frames 25-50 - walk................. , etc

I would like to set up a button on screen in UDK and when I press it, it plays an animation that I define, either the idle, or the walk, etc

It seems like Kismet is the best option for this, but having trouble finding good 'descriptive' help that would help me achieve this type of setup, so would really appreciate any help with that aspect ?

Thanks.

Replies

• Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think what you are looking for is scaleform tutorials.
    UDK used to have a somewhat buggy UI construction "thing" but now they switched to scaleform, i bet there is loads of documentation on that.
  • Epicurean Dreamer
    You can do it without scaleform, you can code it in UnrealScript. Check out HUD.uc in %Development\Src\Engine\Classes for the lowdown. The Function is Drawtexture or something, it's not hard to miss.

the hard bit is actually capturing button clicks. Well, it's not TOO hard If it's a rectangle or circle, it's easy. For a circle, on mouse click, you need to check how far the cursor is from the centre of the circle If that distance is less than or equal to the circle radius, you've clicked it Otherwise not.
    Rectangles are a bit harder, you need to check if the cursor is between topleft and topright, and also between topleft and bottomleft

Cursor.X > TopLeft.X && Cursor.X < TopRight.X Assuming the positive X direction is towards the right of the screen And similar for Y, positive Y to the bottom of the screen... Cursor.Y > TopLeft.Y && Cursor.Y < BottomLeft.Y....

to be honest. Scaleform is probably a much better idea hahaha.

This link will help you out in understanding the workflow, or, if you have adobe Flash, even better! Just check out the official Scaleform docs on the UDN.

Good luck!

Edit: Agh, applying script events to the button press haha! yes, it's as simple as applying and arbitrary function to execute via the UI element onclick interaction, it's basically the same as assigning a map to load on click the 'start map' function in the many tutorials on building a basic menu in UDK there are dotted around, except you're defining the skelmesh asset and assigning the anim/animset association to update on click, rather than map load. The principles are the same. A little research will see you set no doubt.
  • FUNWISP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Message Deleted
  • Onion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, Thanks for the detailed responses, much appreciated.