Home Technical Talk

Maya 'Pelt Mapping' equivalent?

Hey there :),

There are some really delicious tools in the 3ds max unwrapping sector, namely the 'relax by faces' and 'relax by edges' pelt mapping functions.

I was wondering if this function is evident somewhere in the Maya UV editor? And if so, where? If not, is there a *GREAT* plug-in I can purchase/acquire for these functions?

I like the option to pin the UV-borders and the general settings that the max pelt mapping tool enables to the user.

Thanks in advance!

- Andr

Replies

• schneller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    schneller polygon
    I think what you're looking for is called Relax and can be found in the UV editor under Polygons. There are pinning options and you can set the number of relax iterations, etc.

I'm not sure what else Maya has these days. I mainly use Headus UV Layout, which is amazing but not cheap.
  • lysaara
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lysaara polycounter lvl 9
    I've never gotten anything useful out of Maya's Relax tool(I must be using it wrong), but Unfold works reasonably well for a similar function to pelt map.

That said, I prefer to use Roadkill for anything more complicated than planar mapping and stitching things together in Maya because the default UV tools are a bit crap.