Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Feedback Request: Portfolio

---No longer using this account

Replies

• AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    A really nice portfolio, good quality work, simple and easy to navigate. I like the 3D view option. Not sure whether you need to bother with the WIP bucket at the end but I'm just nit picking. Also the black background could do with changing. Really like the video as well =P love the creeks and small animations.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    too much random stuff, nothing is categorized. You should make a whole environment, people will care more about that then these thing. You have one that it looks like y o u did parts of, but it's just not enough imo. And a bucket wip? Like why, it's a bucket.

There you go. oh, also the steering wheel could have used a lot less tris. The normal mapping on the wood was pretty weak.
    I'd remove the table stuff. and well, all the random props. And post completed environments.
  • LaurenB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat wrote: »
    A really nice portfolio, good quality work, simple and easy to navigate. I like the 3D view option. Not sure whether you need to bother with the WIP bucket at the end but I'm just nit picking. Also the black background could do with changing. Really like the video as well =P love the creeks and small animations.

Noted! Thank you.
    too much random stuff, nothing is categorized. You should make a whole environment, people will care more about that then these thing. You have one that it looks like y o u did parts of, but it's just not enough imo. And a bucket wip? Like why, it's a bucket.

There you go. oh, also the steering wheel could have used a lot less tris. The normal mapping on the wood was pretty weak.
    I'd remove the table stuff. and well, all the random props. And post completed environments.

Remove all the random props? Then I wouldn't have a portfolio haha.
    Elaborate on what you mean by nothing is categorized, what more are you looking for in that?.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well make a whole environment, I don't think it's likely you'll get hired with other peoples work in your portfolio, unless it's like a AAA game or something. I would make a whole enviroment from scratch, showcase all your skills. This does not ( I hope) and if I were your employer I would not think this stand=s out. A WIP on a bucket should be something that you do in an hour TOPS unless you are very slow, so it might give an employer that feeling. Just saying from my perspective, that's what I'd see.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its really not bad from a techinical point at all, your texturing is a little clean, but yet dirty on some. I would REALLY suggest just making a whole environment from scratch. Make 3 solid environments that showcase your skills.
  • tristanCarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristanCarter polycounter lvl 5
    I would agree with the sentiment that you should complete an entire environment as a you are selling yourself as an environment artist. Show off a full environment you've completed instead of props you added to an environment. They're all great pieces, but a full UDK environment you made will show much more than 5 props might. As for your website, I'd try to get rid of the purple and black color scheme. In my opinion you should brand yourself as an artist. Your website is your brand and your artwork.
  • pixelacious
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well make a whole environment, I don't think it's likely you'll get hired with other peoples work in your portfolio, unless it's like a AAA game or something. I would make a whole enviroment from scratch, showcase all your skills. This does not ( I hope) and if I were your employer I would not think this stand=s out. A WIP on a bucket should be something that you do in an hour TOPS unless you are very slow, so it might give an employer that feeling. Just saying from my perspective, that's what I'd see.

I don't think that's necessarily true. I recognize the teachers names in the credits and realized this is the program I went through 2 years ago. We did the same thing for the final project and some of us had jobs within the first 3 months after graduation.

That being said the ones who got hired first, often were acting art director/level designer on their projects. I agree though that it's always better to do as much as possible, but she could always market herself as a prop artist.

@Lauren

I like the props you have so far, but I think you should try and do some more detailed ones.

http://edwinchan.ca/ This portfolio is of one of those former students I mentioned. It's almost entirely props, and a most of what is up there is from school assignments. The props are all very high detail and he included all the schematics he did for the mod project. If you can match his level of detail I think it'll go a long way towards getting a job.