Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Watchtower - UDK

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
punchface polycounter lvl 6
I've messed around with Marmoset's Toolbag and am really impressed with how easy it was in Toolbag to get pretty good results. Sure, I

imagine that a real fine knowledge of Toolbag's capabilities can make utter magic, but even if the artist's knowledge of Toolbag's

functionality is only 'so-so', the results can be really nice.

But for environment pieces like this little watchtower, I've been having more experienced folks than myself tell me for a while now that a

good idea is to place the piece or the prop in some sort of surroundings for greater visual interest and to 'flatter' the piece. With that

in mind, Toolbag didn't seem like what I wanted for this.

I chose to fire up my old copy of the UDK and put something together with the Watchtower here as the centerpiece.

http://i.imgur.com/HhYPf.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/v1NT7.jpg

Obviously, yeah, I wanna hear what you ladies and gentlemen might think, but also, I'm interested in gaining some advice/pro-tips blah blah

about how to fine-tune lightmass and materials and various things inside of the UDK (I'm not talking about reworking geometry or actual

textures in Photoshop or wherever) so that screencaps look as good as I can make them.

I think things look pretty okay with this tower currently, but I'm also pretty sure that they could look better with very little work if I

just knew what to do.

These two pics were screencaps in game mode from inside the editor. I cropped them and downsized them a bit in Photoshop to get rid of the

jaggy edges a bit but that's ghetto...I need to learn post-processing trickery to achieve nice anti-aliasing as well.

I've stayed away from lens-flare and excessive bloom and god rays and fog and other visual effects with the operative principle being that

if an asset doesn't look good without tricky stuff that like, then it's probably not good enough and needs to be reworked or retextured.

Anyway, yeah, thanks in advance for any input. :)

pf

Replies