Home Unreal Engine

UDK Lighting Problem

Lighting within UDK is one of the topics that seems to pop up time and time again. I'm bringing it up one more time~

While blocking out my environment I came across this odd lighting thing.

TorchOff.jpg
No light source present within the room -at all-.

TorchOn.jpg
With the player's torch on, so you can compare.

The area is fully walled off, meaning that my directional light can't get in, the idea is that it's pitch black, with the player needing to use the torch to see. With the stairs that I've built, parts of them are always 'lit', which I'm obviously not wanting. Sure, I could move on and finish blocking the environment out and come back to this, but I can't resist a mystery (and I'd just have to solve it later anyway).

I've Googled around for an answer as well as spent the evening trying to figure this out.

The asset has it's own light-map UV with no overlaps, no light is getting into the room and none of the surrounding BSP/surfaces are lighting up. The material is a simple Phong-lit material with a diffuse, normal and spec-colour. The issue happens even when it's just a diffuse map.

Does anyone have any idea what's causing this? Thanks in advance!

Turns out my light map resolution wasn't high enough. I had bumped it up a few times as one of my first attempts at finding the problem, but it didn't fix it.
Setting it to 0 does away with the lightmap and forces it to use vertex lighting (I think?), which has completely solved it. Hope this helps anyone with similar problems!

Replies

• NoisyMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, a couple shots in the dark here.. zing!

1. Rebuild lighting. Pretty standard, and I assume you've tried that.
    2. The top image (no torch) isn't actually "pitch black". You said there are aren't other lights in the scene, so it should be 100% black, right? Somehow light is getting through. Try doubling up the thickness of your "walls" that are blocking your Directional Light.
    3. Try it without your "handy cam" post processing effects. Any different?
    4. To confirm it's not an error on the model somehow, place the stairs mesh in a fresh scene with no lighting.

Can't think of anything else at the moment, but try some of those and update with your results.