Home Technical Talk

Preview Layered Texture in Maya for Games?

Hi, I'm currently doing an art test for a game company, but they have restricted me to 512 tileable textures so I figured I'd do "unique" texturing through multiple uv sets. My problem with that is, in maya 2012, high quality viewport doesn't support layered texture normal maps. Have you guys found an accurate solution to this? Is viewport 2.0 a reliable preview for game asset creation?

Replies

• Scruples
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    I don't think it is possible in viewport without a special shader, tried to do this same thing roughly a year ago and no combination of nodes or viewport settings allowed more than one node per texture input visible at any time (in viewport).
    What I ended up doing was laying out my tiled normals after and using a render for preview before exporting to UDK.

I wonder if additional bump is even visible in 3ds max's viewport, maybe with Xoliul shader?
  • LendeGracia
    I just tested that color maps do appear properly on the high quality viewport in layered texture form, but it doesn't work on viewport 2.0 lol.

ugh... I was afraid of that :(. I didn't know how to mess around with multiple uv sets in UDK.