Home Technical Talk

nDo: Modifying existing Normal Maps

high dynamic range
Offline / Send Message
Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
Did some searching, no dice, so I hope this is okay to ask.

Using nDo v0.6.6.
================================
Does anyone know how to modify existing normal maps (that is a flattened layer) in the sense that, for example "Woops, that crevice is too deep, let me bring that up a bit" with nDo?

I've been experimenting with the existing functions, and I haven't found anything satisfactory beyond outright redoing the normal map from the diffuse (which is a PAIN since it keeps reading my lighter value metal scuffs as raised areas and not depressions)

Actually in general, what is supposed to be my process of modifying existing normal maps with this tool? It doesn't seem as easy as modifying existing specular maps or diffuse for that matter.

Rendering in Marmoset btw (Is it worth the $50? with the intention of a student trying to get a job)

Replies

• Autarkis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autarkis polycounter lvl 8
    I'm not going to reply about ndo, since I don't use it at all, but I'd go for marmoset. It's ease of use for portfolio rendering is worth the price. It definitely raised the quality level of mine and I credit it for catching the eye of the art director that hired me on my first job.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    why are you not using ndo2?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Costs money, something I don't want to part with easily.

I just . . . have the Alpha version for a reason.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And subconsciously trying to save for Zbrush
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    It's a feature missing from ndo2 as well... or I'm too stupid to use it. Shame.
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    I would put a layer under the normalmap with 8080ff color and put a mask on the normal map and paint with low opacity where you want to weaken the normalmap. Maybe not the best way but its the way i can think of now. Btw this is not with ndo just plain Photoshop. And also you maybe want to normalize your normalmap probably not needed but just in case.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Marmoset and nDo2 are both worth their price tag, but if you're student who is getting by, and saving up for a software like ZB, I suggest not getting it.

Also for ZB, did you try and see if Sculptris would feed you needs? It's same as ZB, only has less features and toolsets as of now, and more free, but the base functions are there.

-For rendering reasons, I suggest either use a viewport shader (there plenty of those for Maya and Max), UDK or CE3.

Please note that I don't approve of Normal Map fidgeting since it can leads to plenty issues, unless it happens to be on shader level (EI: Mask the RG channels, Mul by Constant, Append Blue back or Derive it back).

-One way to deepen the crack and crevice of a Normal is to make a copy of Normal Map, and get ride of your channel (either turn it 128 flat blue or just make it black) this will leave you with the RG channels.
    Play around with the levels/curves whatever you want on the RG channels of this copy as you see fit, once done, collapse it ontop of the your original normal map, via overlay, etc IIRC.

-The other way is to essentially do the same thing, slightly more accurate, just directly play with the RG levels of your Normal Map.

-For nDo, just play around with the settings, in nDo2 there is a 'Normal Map to N' function which will essentially convert the entire thing to a nDo normal map, but I'm not sure if V0.6 has it.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I guess in regards to the ZBrush, right now is the alternative of fielding Mudbox and 3DCoat a good solution for now?

And on the nDo front, it looks like doing cuts and stitches of normal maps (and taking sections of the diffuse and extracting normals in these sections from the get go) seems to be a proper solution?