Home Technical Talk

Best way to begin learning advanced modeling/texturing techniques

I am 17, and I have been experimenting with 3ds max for a while because several years ago my dad used 3ds max for his engineering job, and he had a copy of the 2003 edition, and I played with that a little. Then I got a student license of 3ds max and was able to start seriously working with it. But being as I'm still in high school and they only offer basic courses, I've pretty much only been able to learn some basic low-poly modeling skills. I'm decent at making fluid topology and shaping the model's base like I want it, but I really need to learn how to add more detail, learn the more advanced tools of 3ds max, and most of all I need some information on textures and materials. I hope I don't sound completely inexperienced when I say this, but right now all I know how to do is drag a jpeg to a material, slap it on an object, and us a UVW Map modifier and call it done. I really need to learn more about textures, being as that seems to be a major part of making a model look as great as it can. Can anyone shares some links to some tutorials? I'm looking at 3D Motive for the annual subscription but I'm really short on cash right now. Is there a less pricey/free place that I could go to? I've learned fast so far so anything you have please share! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• KingLuke24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm guessing that means I'm still on my own... crap. Lol.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    you made it here- start posting art. Use google, and get to work. There's no way you've been through every tutorial on the net covering game art and texturing.
  • KingLuke24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I'm saying I haven't found anything that starts from the beginning that explains what the different maps types are, how you can get different maps for different textures, etc. I'm pretty much completely new to using textures so I need something that goes from A to Z. But here is an ax I modeled:
    axe_test_by_drokendareheart-d5cru82.png

And sorry about the second post. Had an energy drink and my fingers were trying to find something to do. Didn't mean to be winy. :P
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Put up your work in Pimping and Preview for feedback.

Also, here are some places you can take a look for getting started:
    -Gnomon
    -Digital Tutors
    -Eat3D
    -3DMotive

Digital Tutors is the place to start for newbies, they pretty much take A to Z approaches, and show really well the basics as well some nifty tips.

Gnomon mostly has old tutorials as far as 'uptodate' stuff goes, but you can still learn some pretty nifty techniques, although they specialize more in traditional art.

3DMotive is the sandwich in between, usually showing techniques proven by industry standards and vets, as well tips to help workflow.

Eat3D pretty much specializes each time they release a tutorial, but they're an intricate as you can get without breaking the bank.
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

I, like yourself started off at College; then as I was learning moved onto harder tutorials that challenged me and still I learnt new things.

Try not only following tutorials but reading magazines or books. 3D world is a good start - you see other peoples work, with steps on how it was made and their inspiriation, aswell as a few tutorials and free assets whether that be textures, reference materials, or models. - But its a great read; both entertaining and educational.

Hope this helps.
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    The very best way?, have someone knowledgeable and physically there to slap your hand when you are making mistakes, essentially a tutor. Chances are you don't have access to one so just watch a bunch of videos on box modeling and edge modeling. I haven't watched one in ages so I can't recommend any but they are easy enough to find (google). Usually people are almost exclusively a box modeler or edge modeler but based on personal experience, most people tend to favor box modeling.
  • KingLuke24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the tips guys! I'm watching some tutorials on Digital Tutors and it really looks promising! Btw, anyone happen to have the reference images from the Low Poly Character Modeling for 3ds max tutorial from that site?... just curious. Kind of would like to actually be able to follow along. Like I said I have a low budget so I'm gonna wait and buy a subscription once I've made some moola. Lol. Once again thanks for the advice. And I'll give the magazines a look too!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    All the UV links you'd ever need.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/TextureCoordinates

And some reference characters can be found here, there's character base meshes for download
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryCharacterModeling