Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Beau Lamb, game artist

Helloo, First thread i think!

My names Beau Lamb, im a student studying at manchester in the UK.
Im starting a thread here to try and get some feedback on my work and hopefully improve :)

Here is a link to my current portfolio = http://beaulamb1992.wix.com/beaulamb-gameartist#!home/mainPage

Feedback on that would be great, as im sure theres many problems with it that im blind to.

Im also starting a new little project. Ive been playing rage recently and i love art and the environments so ive started building a little scene thats inspired by the game.

Ive blocked all the models out and started to seperate everything up ready for unwrapping and texturing.
If i was making multiple buildings i would make the wall peices modular and a few others things better to be repeated. I am going to use UDK to build the scene in. Feedback greatly appreciated :) Thanks!

3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

Replies

• beaulamb1992
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update, heres a window which will be at the front of the building, and a light.... intresting stuff ino haha

GlassWindow.jpg
    NeonLight.jpg
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    Your portfolio seems to be down or not working?

This is a good start. Straight off the bat, I'd ask if you're using any form of reference for your scene. As in, how it's laid out... Has it been composed from something or just from imagination? It's always good to use references and plan a scene out on paper before you touch UDK.

The props are looking good so far.. But I'm unsure if the semi-realistic style is intentional or not? If not, what size are your textures sheets?

One last thing: You might wanna try upping the lightmap resolution on your props in UDK. Your grated roofs have some nasty shadows at the moment.. I've circled the option in the static mesh editor in case you didn't know what I meant. I think 32 is the default but try upping it to 128 or 256 :)

beaulamb.jpg

Hope this helps
  • k21n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k21n polycounter lvl 10
    I think 32 is the default but try upping it to 128 or 256 :)

Or even 512 for buildings, worked fine for me ( thanks ^^ )

Nice portfolio man, i really like Rust. I really like how you organized yourself. I must do the same... hehe :)
  • beaulamb1992
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @nathanbarrett

Hmm dont know why my portolio isnt working :/ ill test it out.

Well usualy id create some concept art to design the scene, but for this ive just grabbed some screens from rage and then i jsut started building it in max putting it together, ive got an image of it in my head how i want it to look, hopefully i can achieve it :P

Hmm i see what you mean, the texture size for those two props are 512x512, although i keep getting wierd looking issues with the textures, I think its the spec wich is giving the shiny parts wierd looking pixely parts, you can see the problems below. Not sure if theres a special way to import spec maps?
    SpecProb.jpg

As for the lightmapping i didnt even have lightmaps! haha thanks for that ive just added some lightmaps for a few of the assets im working on and its made a TON of difference, big thanks for that :)

@k21n

yehh ive give them 512 lightmaps for the buildings, looking much better :)

Ahh great you can see my portfolio! still a problem though if some people can see it and some cant :/ thanks for the kind words though :)
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @beaulamb1992

No worries man :) If your PC is any good, crank the res right up to 512 or 1024, will make a world of difference in how realistic your scene and props look :)

As for the spec map... You have more chance of someone on here helping you with that issue if you post your textures for that prop on here :)
  • beaulamb1992
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @nathanbarrett

Ahh cool, ill try that out :D

Ooo sorry, heres the textures for the window.

Diffuse
    GlassWindow_Diffuse.png
    Spec
    GlassWindow_Spec.png
    NRM
    GlassWindow_NRM.png
  • beaulamb1992
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry one more thing for today.
    Wondering if i could get some help or ideas about the layout of the scene.
    Should i keep it how it is on the small platorm which ill add some small assets around and some small bits of vegetation growing maybe.
    V1.jpg
    Or should i expand the scene and add a bit of a background to it, maybe a large broken road/bridges in the background like in Rage.
    V2.jpg
    With the second option i think ill need quite a few more assets just to make it look not so wierd, at the moment it would just look like its in the middle of no where. No idea what to add yet will have to think of something if i choose this option.
    Which layout should i go for? :)
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's actually looking reaaally cool IMO with some textures on there! Looks quite cartooney, I really like it :)

I think because it's a "scene", it would definitely benefit from some back ground elements, do some landscaping behind.. Some mountains, a more detailed sky. Put it in a time of day.. I personally think it would be cool as quite a hot, desert-like, mid-day sun kinda mood.
  • Jack Ryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the style, it's quite clearly Rage influenced, great job. :) I can't help but think your light models are a little too big though, the one in particular above the garage door sticks out to me.

Can't wait to see some more of your texturing work, it's looking great.

As for layout choices, it might seem like a lot more work for option 2, but your payoff would be ten fold also. You wouldn't necessarily need a lot of assets for the background with some well placed particle systems in UDK you could form a big dust cloud which would fit perfectly here. What kind of building is this supposed to be at the minute, anyway? It looks like it could be a garage slash petrol station at the moment, so maybe some petrol pumps could fit here if that's a direction you're thinking of going?

You could also easily make some low res meshes for the skyline of some buildings or some trees. Trees would give you a chance of learning to deal with opacity maps, if you haven't already, too. :)
  • beaulamb1992
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helloo, been on holiday for a week so havnt been able to work on this. Back at it today though so been planning out what to do.

@nathanbarrett
    Thanks man, yehh ive chose to go for a scene now, and ive also changed the sky so its a nice hot day :D much prefer it i think, let me know what you think.

@Jack Ryan
    Yehh thanks dude, ahh yes ill make that light smaller, they were even bigger but i scaled them down haha so ill make that change :)

Yehh ive started on adding some stuff to the scene now and the background, much prefering it to just the little platform i had previously.
    I think the building is just going to be a suply outpost. somethign travelers would come across in the wasteland to get water.. things like that :P

Anyway heres what ive been working on today, just adding some quick meshes in and around the scene, they will most deffinatly change, there just placeholders at the moment to get an idea of what kind of background i want for the environment, i think i might add some damaged sky scrapers in the distance still though. The mountainy part is just rough also just to get a feel and start to the background, lots of work needs to be done with that. But im liking this appoach much more :) Lots to do now though! think ill start to focus on areas soon instead of going nuts and doing little bits everywhere. Let me know what you think and what can be improved :)
    Screen1.jpg
    Screen2.jpg
    Screen3.jpg
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like where you're going with the setting! Keep it up
  • beaulamb1992
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @nathanbarrett
    Thanks mate :)

Update for the day, mostly just been unwrapping stuff and working a bit on texturing just adding flat colours for now, ill get round to actually painting soon :)
    Update1.jpg
    Update2.jpg
    Update3.jpg
  • beaulamb1992
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on the dustbin today, Should probably start taking some tiled shots soon as these are just screenshots at the moment which is making things look pretty terrible... anyway here it is.

DustbinRender.jpg
    In scene,
    Dustbin2.jpg
  • beaulamb1992