Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Male anatomy practice (Please crit!!)

Im trying to work on my anatomy skills and work on character skills, I used anatomy charts and classical sculptures as reference. I HAD ALOT OF PORBLEMS IWTH THE BACK please help thx! :)

95422032.jpg

Replies

• gechbal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gechbal polycounter lvl 6
    Look good, got good proportions, would like to see a bite more fat on the belly :) otherwise kudos !
  • drunksgt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx man, and ya im gonna be adding more fat i just wanted to get the abs layed out than start puting fat on em. Also what does everyone think about the BACK? It was the part i had the most trouble with
  • drunksgt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive decided to use this thread to show all my anatomy practice stuff, is there anyway to change thread title im assuming probably not, ill have more stuff tomoro
  • KrissyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also agree with gechbal. It looks spot on. I really like the attention to the back muscles however I think the trapezius looks a little too skinny at the bottom half of the spine. I could be wrong though. Looks wonderful, I cant wait to see more. :D
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    I can see three major problems with the construction of the back. I am commenting on the left side of the back specifically as it appears to be the more correct of the two sides.

1. The long head of the triceps/clavicular portion of the deltoid. The long head of the triceps originates from the scapula. From my understanding, it attaches to the infraglenoid tubercle of the scapula. In your sculpture, the attachment at the scapula appears to be much too robust. In reality, it is almost entirely obscured by the much larger deltoid.

2. The teres major originates from the lower corner of the scapula and inserts, under the long head of the triceps on the medial side of the humerous, just underneath the greater tubercle. It is relatively prominent on the surface, and has a rather cylindrical shape. Your sculpture's seems to broad and flat.

3. Check the origin and insertion of the latissimus dorsi, and pay particular attention to the aponeurosis of this prominent muscle. This flat, sheet-like muscle has two major origins. The mass of the muscle originating from beneath the trapezius should cradle the teres major, eventualy inserting in front of it on the humerous. The mass originating from the illiac crest of the pelvis wraps towards the front, obscuring the scapular half of the serratus anterior and shares an insertion with the first mass. You can generally draw a straight line from these two origins, which will form the third side of this triangular muscle mass.

Wikipedia has some great images and descriptions of these muscle groups. If my wording is unclear, I will provide a paint over. Just let me know.