Home Technical Talk

Model help!

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Chicken Dip polycounter lvl 8
I am having a problem with this model... here is the Wireframe (i know it looks terrible but i dont know how else to get it to look good

Problem2.jpg

and this is the error i am getting

Problem.jpg

Now would it be best to just redo that piece or go ahead and bake it and sort it out in Photoshop with the Smug tool? please help...

Replies

• cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Dont bake and smudge, that wont be accurate at all.

Maybe go for less geometry on the left and right sides. If its being subdivided you shouldnt need all those extra edges and ngons to make it curved.
  • GeeDave
    Offline / Send Message
    GeeDave polycounter lvl 11
    Please only take this as as a general guide, I'm a low poly modeller and often have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to SubD stuff, but... right off the bat, you've got hidden edges that aren't going to know what to do, good topology is pretty damn crucial when it comes to subdividing, especially on curved surfaces. Take a look at this:
    2012-08-23_0009.png

Try to keep things a bit more consistent, you've essentially got irregular shapes curving along the same angle, so that's going to give you varying results immediately, couple that with the fact that you aren't "directing" your polygons in a sensible fashion, and you will get all sorts of pinching or unwanted results.

Here's what I would do (again, this probably isn't the best method):

Starting with the original model as the base shape, I would detach (as clone) the section I intended to extrude out:

2012-08-22_2350.png

The selected faces are still duplicates of the original mesh, and you should delete this after the first edge-extrusion, attained by simply shift-dragging the edge border selection with the scale tool.
    2012-08-22_2353.png

Then, using edit poly align tools 2012-08-22_2357.png and more shift-dragging to create faces you'll want to end up with something more like this:

2012-08-22_2355.png

It's worth mentioning that I do have a small chamfer on the lip there to retain the shape better when subdividing:
    2012-08-22_2358.png

Then when the topology is okay you can star to worry about deforming the shape, I use the bend modifier and then an FFDx4 on top to flatten out the middle point (wasn't sure if the FFD was necessary, but whatever)

2012-08-23_0006.png

2012-08-23_0014.png
  • Chicken Dip
    Offline / Send Message
    Chicken Dip polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks to everyone for the replies...

@GeeDave: thanks for that quick tutorial mate... it really helped and its now looking perfect :D