Home Technical Talk

[Dota 2] Imported item wrong scale

Hi everybody,

I made a model in 3ds max for dota 2. When I started creating the item, I didn't have scale in mind because I figured an item can always be rescaled. So as I was finishing up the model I decided to test and see what it looks like ingame. So I imported the decompiled model from Dota 2 and scaled my model to match the imported one (note it was much larger). I attached my weapon the the correct bones and I exported it as .fbx.

I imported the model into dota 2 through the new import system and noticed the model was waaay too large (seemed like it was as large as I originally modeled it even though I scaled it down). Did I do something wrong or is this a known bug in the dota 2 importer ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: maybe a screenshot to clear some things up:
cmhugestaff.jpg

ps. I allready posted a question like this on the dota 2 discussions section of the workshop but I decided to try here seeing how I heard this is the place to be for everything related to modeling.

Thx in advance,
Sindrave

Replies

• Jack Ryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How did you go about scaling your weapon?

If you scaled it on the highest level (Editable Poly) then you actually changed nothing about the object, apart from what it looks like in your viewport.

To actually scale the object, go into vertex mode and select ALL OF THE VERTS!!.. ahem, and then scale them down uniformly to match the DotA character you exported.

That should then actually scale your model properly.

You may also want to look into resetting your XForms in the Tools panel (the hammer, furthest right) before rescaling your object if you've transformed it multiple times at the highest level.
  • Sindrave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,

thx for your quick reply.

I scaled the item at highest lvl, I'll reset the xforms and resize it by scaling the vertices and see if it works.

once again, thx
    Sindrave
  • Sindrave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,

Looks like that resolved the issue ... silly me *embarresed*

Thx a million for helping me out!

Kind regards,
    Sindrave
  • Jack Ryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem, glad it worked!
  • putrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    double post, sorry, see below.
  • putrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, this really works, but the next question is: how to match object which was scaled on the highest level (as it can be seen in viewports) with select-all-vertices mode scaled object. I mean, now I've achieved fairly good scaled object in dota2, but in 3ds max' viewport my object is 3 or 4 times larger than it should be in comparison with imported weapon model.
    As for me I would prefer to have appropriately scaled object in viewports that will make work more accurate and easy to control.
    In the upshot, why so? Why select-all-vertices scaling is not the same as the highest level scaling?