Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK Jungle Environment Techniques and Level WIP

Replies

• Mauritium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mauritium polycounter lvl 5
    If you made all those plants, please, add me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mauricio.signorelli.9

We are a team developing a game, will be soon on kickstarter.
  • gartht3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mauritium wrote: »
    If you made all those plants, please, add me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mauricio.signorelli.9

We are a team developing a game, will be soon on kickstarter.

Hi, sorry for the late reply I haven't checked this thread in a long time. Can you send me a link to some info on the game you are working on so I can have a look? Thanks.

Garth

Edit: I am not currently using facebook and yes, I did create all the plants:)
  • Mauritium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gartht3d wrote: »
    Hi, sorry for the late reply I haven't checked this thread in a long time. Can you send me a link to some info on the game you are working on so I can have a look? Thanks.

Garth

Edit: I am not currently using facebook and yes, I did create all the plants:)

Hi! Sorry for the late reply, I wanted to show you our main site, but is having some troubles, and our web designer is a little busy (Www.Alienbit.com.ar) so I will tell you about the project:

We're developing a first person shooter with the possibilities of a sandbox, that means, surviving in a jungle, like: Search/craft weapons, find food/hunt, collect various tipes of resources, look for safe places/laboratories, etc... The only objetive is survive, in the beginning will be easy for the experienced players, but the game gets harder because of the lack of resources, and the prescence of dinosaurs in the island (Compy, Raptor, Dilophosaurus, Ceratosaurus, Carnotaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Spinosaurus)
    We're developing it in UDK, we're just starting but we have a lot of people in our team, if you're intrested in joining us, we still have avalible places to work with, our proyect will be soon on kickstarter.

Tell me if you are interested, this is the best UDK jungle I have ever seen and would be really usefull!
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    Man this is fantastic! Really great foliage work here!
  • gartht3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Mauritium

I was about to start making some new foliage pieces for my folio, so this could work well to tie it in with your game. I'd be keen to see some progress to get an idea of whether I'm right for the job. Do you have an indieDB? The website link you sent is not in my native language and all image links are broken.

@ Wester

Thanks man!
  • Mauritium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I'm making right now a platform game for a youtuber that will give us views and everything, this platformer will be complete very soon, so we can star with the Prime project (Survival), we haven't started, but we have 70% (20Min) of the Original Sountrack, and a lot of people ready for work with. Would you like to join?
  • gartht3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mauritium wrote: »
    Well, I'm making right now a platform game for a youtuber that will give us views and everything, this platformer will be complete very soon, so we can star with the Prime project (Survival), we haven't started, but we have 70% (20Min) of the Original Sountrack, and a lot of people ready for work with. Would you like to join?

replied via PM

Cheers
  • gartht3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ***UPDATED***
    It's been ages but I decided to do a fly through and use this in my folio. Funny to see how much I have learnt since completing this:P Is my first time with camera fly throughs and compression so if there are crits, I'm listening:P

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsfYEiYDbJo"]UDK Jungle - YouTube[/ame]

yf8d.png
    b2c5.png
    4xn9.png
  • hollandje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hollandje polycounter lvl 4
    DUDE!!! How did I never see this!! :o It's so beautifull. I'm going to start on foliage and vegatation today and this is top notch quality! I'm so eager to get on your level :o

GREAT WORK!!!
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    Garth did you made any complicated shader for foliage or it's similar from this guy from 3dmotive tut ?

Also any tips about lighning?

Great Work!
  • Miche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really, really beautiful work !
  • gartht3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ hollandje - thanks man.

@ Mr Significant - TCheers for the comment. I did re-create the 3D motive material but I dont think I used it for any of this. I made my own shader that worked well for this level. I can't guarantee it will work with every level but it was better than the 3d motive shader for a jungle that has a lot of soft light bouncing. It wasnt much, just added the diffuse as transmission and made instances for all foliage. Just 1 material.

Lighting.....hmmm, just keep tweaking it till its nice:P I dont know what else to say. Make good light maps, follow Hournces tutes he just released. My lighting was really basic, it just all seemed to work decently together.

@ Miche - Thanks again, cheers for your comments recently. Your work is amazing I'm happy you like mine:P
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    What is this Transmission? Is this translucency?
  • gartht3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ell, in a way. For foliage, it fakes a technique designed to allow light to travel through leaves. It gives it a much more realistic look. I used DX9 in this level but I believe sub surface scattering is available in DX11 UDK, which is what transmission fakes.
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    Dude! awesome work! There a lot of stuff going on in your level, and the fact that you made it from scratch is extraordinary. Which brings me to this. I went to go check out your portfolio, (you wanted to see if it was working) and you have only a few shots of your environments, and diorama... you do a better job showing your stuff on polycount, then on your site :( all that work on this jungle scene and you have three main pics, (also a lot of folks won't watch the video... so the pics are really important) and the tree break downs etc. are tiny...show each tree off... or put two together if you don't think that fills the space. Also, when I click on the break downs, I get the pop up, which is fine... but logically I should be able to scroll to the adjacent prop... it doesn't so I end up clicking back and forth to see each one. Remember, the faster folks can get to your work the better. Also, up your res on the bottom diorama, I want to see the stitching in the umbrella again ;) fantastic work man.
  • gartht3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ ZombieWells

Cheers for the crits. I just made the diaorama larger and linked it to the full res version which is outside of the webpage as the builder I used wouldn't let me have such a large image.
    Your right, I need to show off the assets and scenes more. I'll do some thinking about quality vs quantity and do a re-structure soon. i have a new env coming so am pretty focused on that, which is more modular indoor stuff that I haven't got on display yet.

Your work, is amazing. Extremely impressive folio too.

Thanks