Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LMS character

So this is going to be my WIP thread for a character from Dan Luvisi's book Last Man Standing: Killbook of a Bounty Hunter (if you haven't checked it out, it has tons of awesome character designs - and it's freaking huge). http://www.danluvisiart.com/artworks/alister.jpg

I have the hi res done and remeshed lo res so far and will be completing the texturing in the next few weeks.

This is my first game character so any advice/crits you may have are more than welcome! Thanks for sneaking a peek!

3Q_gray.jpg

turnAround_gray.jpg

Replies

• Straubulus
    wireframes for the loRes. 13679 tris

AlisterWires_01.jpg
  • Ravanna
    hi res is very nice. the mistake with the low res (and call me out anyone else if I've missed a trick here) is that you've modelled that which you do not need.

the low poly topology should really follow the basic shape and the stretching/crushing of parts in animation.

Unless the folds are *massive*, never create complex geometry for folds, just let the normal maps/AO handle that detail.
  • Straubulus
    Thanks for the advice Ravanna.

I really wasn't sure exactly how closely I should have followed the silhouette, and for this I followed pretty closely.

Good to know that I can be more conservative with the resolution
  • butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    i personally think its a matter of the artists choice, the restraints and the final goal and what you were going for.
    I like how youve put in the detail in the low for the folds. Though i do believe youve overdone it in some places like the back of the thigh and the back of the jacket. Rest look great for the silhouette

Looking great btw.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Dem shades ftw.

Nice hi creasework, it's fine to build creases into the low however I think around the joints the topology will obstruct proper deformation. Just keep that in mind.

Gud luck with it tho :)
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    While it's consistent with the concept, I think it'd make a lot more sense for you to rotate the weapon on his left hip (I'm guessing it's some kind of fancy future sword) so that the grip is at the front. As it is, he's going to have enormous difficulty reaching and drawing it from its scabbard.