Home Technical Talk

zbrush scaling WTF

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
I have been noticing that all my various zbrush models are at different scales. been zbrushing since about 2004 and I have always done my work in real size ie cm , so a head would be in real world size BUT I notice now every old file that i load varies in size inside zbrush enormously.

I am also starting to think that brushes in zbrush work strangely if your scales are off by a large amount. anyone confirm this.

I don't suppose there is any easy way to fix these issues?

Replies

• dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, I've noticed this as well. I recently had two meshes that I know were the same size in Max (and were also pretty small), but for some reason they were huge in Zbrush. I only realized this because the surface noise wouldn't work correctly and so I tried scaling them down considerably and they worked fine. I don't know what causes this, but I'd love to hear if anyone has a solution.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    when using maya inches, I get the same issues. I usually end up scaling back 2.54 and everything works fine.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Goz might preserve the scale, otherwise I think out might use the currently loaded subtool for a reference.

Brushes, dynamesh, and more do work better with more natural scales in zbrush. you can use the tool preview to get a glimpse at how big or small the tool is. For best results, if you don't mind the size changing , use the unify deform to instantly scale it better
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Once you use GOZ, make sure your 'scale' in export is set to 1. This will ensure you will get, WITH GOZ, a 1:1 import export, if the number changes, start a new document. As of R3, you shouldn't get any fluctuations with the scale since it was fixed.

I suggest not using the old method of import/export OBJ formats, since those have a whole set of bugs of them own, the safest solution for an old import/export is to do this.

Create a Cube Mesh in ZB -> Divide it a couple of time -> Check to see if Scale in export is set to 1 -> Import your models (OBJ, etc) -> Save document (I suggest ZPR).

Now close ZB and open it again, open the ZPR project, if the scale didn't change, then you're good to go.

Honestly, GOZ is faster.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah unify works , but when i have 20 30 subtools they don't always resize in relation to each other ie they all end up in the same location. I could merge all then resize, then break thme apart again.

tool preview is handy, cheers for that cryid - some of the heads I did are really massive in zbrush.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    goz is a bit weird, flips my texture maps upside down ie the uv's themselves. i guess you can mess with this setting.

I still use import export obj. You can avoid that vertex order bug by converting your mesh in 3dsmax to editable mesh, stick and edit poly on top and then export.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    In the case of multiple subtools, you could just use the size deform on the main subtool using the preview window as a judge. Basically just aim to get it so that you can see the entire model within the preview as if it were framed.