Home Technical Talk

Maya Smooth UVs distortion

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
silver_hoodlum polycounter lvl 4
Hi

I have a big headache trying to resolve the distortion I get on hard surface uvs when i texture them. I always corrected the uvs distortion in maya uv text editor (loosing a lot of time indeed) but i was wondering if there is a way to avoid this distortion directly.

I read that "smooth all" is an option but what u recommend me?

any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• gray
    first make sure your history is on. then after you smooth your poly go to the channel box and expand the poly smooth face. in the inputs list change 'smooth uv's' from 1 to 0. that should do it.
  • silver_hoodlum
    Offline / Send Message
    silver_hoodlum polycounter lvl 4
    gray wrote: »
    first make sure your history is on. then after you smooth your poly go to the channel box and expand the poly smooth face. in the inputs list change 'smooth uv's' from 1 to 0. that should do it.

hey, thanks for ur answer, it works for uvs but that doesnt smooth the mesh, it keeps it hard :/
  • onionhead_o
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    do you mind posting the wires? generally you want at least 3 edges, 2 for support edge and 1 right in the middle, so that the uvs don't get stretch too much. If you are doing high poly texturing, you generally want to texture it smoothed/subdivided since it is the final product. if you texture the low poly then smooth the mesh there is a high chance that there will be distortion around the borders.
  • gray
    i got the value wrong its the on-off not a number value :)

make sure your adjusting smooth uv's and turn it off , not continuity. continuity has the numerical value and adjusts the smoothness of subdivision.