Home Unreal Engine

renaming packages

decorix
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
decorix polycounter lvl 11
Hi,

I've created a package but i want to rename it now!!. You can't rename it in the editor. Do you need to rename it in you're UDK / content / maps /UT3 ???

I saw a great tutorial by Javahawk, but he didn't cover how to rename things.
I know how rename/move stuff, but renaming ur package!!!

I did a quick test renaming in my c/UDK/content/maps/UT3 but then I got some errors.

I think the problem is that certain files don't link up anymore..

Thanks

Decorix
renamingpackage.jpg

Replies

• JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    When you rename an asset, it adds an invisible redirector asset in its place, so external references can still get to your asset. This is why you get a warning if you rename an asset then make a new one with the previous name.

As there's no package to store a redirect in for a package, it can't do that which is why it isn't "officially" supported. You can copy the assets to a new package or rename it while UDK is (definitely) closed.
  • decorix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi James,

Thanks so much for explaining it to me. I renamed my UPK file while udk was closed and that worked. So another work arround would be removing content such as materials/textures/meshes to a new package. And if you
    delete a UPK in your Environments Directory then It won't show up any more in UDK content editor?

JamesWild wrote: »
    When you rename an asset, it adds an invisible redirector asset in its place, so external references can still get to your asset. This is why you get a warning if you rename an asset then make a new one with the previous name.

As there's no package to store a redirect in for a package, it can't do that which is why it isn't "officially" supported. You can copy the assets to a new package or rename it while UDK is (definitely) closed.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, there's nothing stopping you from adding/removing/renaming packages while the engine's closed. I'm not sure where thumbnails for assets are stored so that might be a problem, but other than that there's only invalid references to clean up.
  • decorix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you james,

Could you perhaps explain when and how to use fix re-directs. Or give an example how it works? I saw some people asking about it.

Is this when you move stuff and it can't be found?

I believe you can run it thru commandline?

I'm not really sure how it works. would be nice if you can share some info about this topic.

Thanks for the info'

JamesWild wrote: »
    Yep, there's nothing stopping you from adding/removing/renaming packages while the engine's closed. I'm not sure where thumbnails for assets are stored so that might be a problem, but other than that there's only invalid references to clean up.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you have any references in other packages to things inside the package you renamed, you have to manually go and make them point at the new locations of the assets. It's been a good while since I used UDK but I think it'll throw a warning when you open the package if I remember correctly.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Ideally you'll want to create a new package with the desired name, then move all your assets in the old package there from within Unreal. This way you don't risk dealing with missing references and unnecessary redirects, since Unreal handles all that in the background for you.

Renaming a package outside of Unreal means you need to go in and make sure none of your references broke, and is a headache you shouldn't need to subject yourself to.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    ^Pretty much this, last I checked, you could multi-select entire assets and copy/move them to another package pronto, is that not the case anymore?
  • decorix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for sharing this info. Can I perhaps ask you about this issue.

If you have a MasterMaterial in one package, and you want to use it in a another/project/package. Do you need to make a copy and move it to the desired package???

Because i got some error that It cant be saved from a external package.
    So basicly it needs to be in the same package?

I had this situation that I had my MasterMaterial in one package. Then I made a Instance of my MasterMaterial. My Instance I moved to my new package, then It was refering to the otherPackage.
    When I copied my Masterial also to the same package I could save it.

Is this corrrect?

LoTekK wrote: »
    Ideally you'll want to create a new package with the desired name, then move all your assets in the old package there from within Unreal. This way you don't risk dealing with missing references and unnecessary redirects, since Unreal handles all that in the background for you.

Renaming a package outside of Unreal means you need to go in and make sure none of your references broke, and is a headache you shouldn't need to subject yourself to.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The issue is that the redirects exist in the older package. If you make a new package, copy the assets to it, then throw away the old package you threw away the redirects you still can't get to the new location without keeping the old package around. Unless something has changed?