Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A new user looking for (negative) feeback and advices (car model)

Hi everyone!
As this is my first post here, I'll introduce myself:
I'm a french programmer (my job) who like to do some video game stuff (not really game as I don't have good idea, but mainly working on rendering, physics, and that kind of engine stuffs).
I'm currently working on some kind of car game (not really a game as there is nothing to do but driving a car). You an find some videos here :
http://www.youtube.com/user/JeuneLoup81/videos

I started this as a game for iphone (back in 2008 ), but then convert it to a "sand box" for coding stuff.

Anyway, I want to do car models. I learn it by myself (using google and some tutorial), and when working with (first, slow) iOS device in mind. I start doing some very low poly car (about 300/400, wheel included), like this one (the one used on the videos):
dc2784f1.pngdc2784f1.png

For this, I used to start with a simple shape (a scaled cube to the size of the car), and then making loop cut and adjusting vertices according to the blueprint.

But since I'm not targeting iOS device anymore, and I want to do more fun stuff with car (opening doors, destruction...), I'm looking for advices about car modeling.

Here's some models I created, but I don't think they are good.

Dodge baracuda (unfinished)
781618a2.jpg781618a2.jpg
f48266c7.jpg

Chevrolet Astro ("finished", no texture used, but I can load this model into my code). Took me about 20hours do to...
4f5ca015.jpg4f5ca015.jpg

Ford Crown (unfinished)
ae9d5a28.jpgae9d5a28.jpg68b985ad.jpg
68b985ad.jpgae9d5a28.jpg

I though that a ford crown would be easy to do, as it got strong edges, but in the end... I really don't like what I have done.
I always have bad edges, things that are not "smooth". Even when I try to do things as good as I can, it seems to me I spend a lot of time doing bad things. And that's why I post here for your feedback :)

I'm using blender (mostly because it's free, and I can write exporter for my own code, splitting mesh the right way according to material and car parts) and I use blueprint from theblueprint.com.
I tried to look at how GTA 3/SA car was done (even if they aren't the best models we can see now, it still looks great with not so much poly I think).

So what am I doing wrong? Is there any advices about car modeling?

Thank you for reading ;)

Pilo.

Replies

• aaronaton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronaton polycounter lvl 6
    my advice would be to pick rarer more aesthetically pleasing cars, maybe avoid american cars, maybe look for something more continental. Old lancia's, Maserati's, old F1.
    It's just makes you look more passionate and knowledgeable of great cars.

Never, never model an Audi R8 lol