Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Orc Blademaster from Warcraft

Hi guys!

I have made a game model of an Orcish Blademaster from Blizzard's Warcraft series. This is my first game model, and you guys have been so helpful these past few weeks.

I hope you guys like it, critiques and comments are greatly appreciated!

orc_blademaster_by_andyckh-d5bin3o.jpg

orc_blademaster_by_andyckh-d5bnqmp.jpg

Replies

• Andy_CKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the construction shots.

He uses 14893 tris, and has diffuse, spec, normal and alpha maps, each 2048x2048.

constructionshotsmall.jpg

zbrushsculpt.jpg

mapsqj.jpg
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Everything looks great!

Awesome job on finishing a great character
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Looks pretty good, though it appears the green channel of your normal map is inverted in your renders. This is a pretty common problem if you baked your normals in Maya.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Very nice work! The only thing I'm not keen on is the skin though, it feels over satuarated. If you have a look at the Orcs in WH40K:Space Marine you'll see what I mean, but maybe that's just a matter of taste. Anyway, great stuff!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Swizzle wrote: »
    Looks pretty good, though it appears the green channel of your normal map is inverted in your renders. This is a pretty common problem if you baked your normals in Maya.

I think swizzle is right about this, best check it out :)
  • Andy_CKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the very kind comments guys, I am glad u all like it!
    Ged wrote: »
    I think swizzle is right about this, best check it out :)

I am using 3ds Max and Xnormals, I am thinking its just displayed differently?

I inverted the green channels and my normals didn't turn out well.
  • Andy_CKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good Lord I am so dumb!

I went back into Marmoset Toolbag and looked through the renders again. You guys were right, my green channels were indeed inverted.

I was viewing them previously in 3ds Max where my green channels would be adjusted accordingly, but the same setting isn't in Marmoset Engine.

I have re-rendered everything. Thank you for pointing out my mistake!
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    Nice sculpt and bake, but poor texture work and material definition. Its still a nice bit of work, but could be a lot better if you reworked your textures and material types. His skin for example is shinning like plastic. He seems randomly splotched with dirt instead of a more realistic build up around his feet (possibly walking through mud on the battle field?) and splatters of blood over his chest and face (slashing and murdering people). Think a combination of walking through mud while being splattered by zombie blood. Again touching on the poor material definition his sword looks like paper.

You can find great material definition and dirt examples in the Uncharted characters. Essentially you just need more purpose behind your dirt/blood, remember those elements call tell a story of what the character has being doing or possibly what they have just being through.

I recommend going back to basics with your texture and think more about how your using your specular. If your struggling to get the material definition on the metal against the wood for example, use a gloss map.

EDIT: Example of dirt reference.
    http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/27000000/Nate-nathan-drake-27013157-2153-1311.jpg
  • Radiocity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This the best character i saw here ! =)
    *Windwalk*