Home Unreal Engine

Particle Emitter Velocity over Life

johan.qarlsson
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
johan.qarlsson polycounter lvl 6
Hello everybody!

I'll get straight to the point:
I am making a cold breath particle system with smoke particles but I get some strange results from my "Velocity over Life" module.

I set my initial velocity to lets say X: 300 Y:0 Z:0
It works fine and my particles fly off in my particle systems positive X direction. I rotate the system and they still fly off nicely in the systems positive X direction.

Now I add my velocity over life module, add 2 keys to it. One key at the start of the particles lifetime and one key at the end. Starting key having a value of X:3 Y:1 Z:1 and end key having X:0.1 Y:0.1 Z:1

Now I get some really funny results when I rotate my particle system. It only shoots my particles off between positive X and Positive Y in worldspace. If I point my particle system in Negative Y the particles shoots off in positive Y.

It all works fine if I check the "Use Local Space" checkbox in the required module. But then all the smoke will turn when my guy turns his head as well. And I don't want that...

Any ideas or help on this would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you

Replies

• imbueFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imbueFX polycounter lvl 5
    If I remember correctly (don't have a PC for a few days), there is a checkbox in the velocity over life module that says "use world space". Is that checked?

Also I'm not sure how you are attaching the particle system to the character, but I tend to have better results attaching to sockets instead of joints.
  • johan.qarlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    johan.qarlsson polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you for the reply!

No, that checkbox is not checked. =/
    We attached the particle system via kismet but I am not sure if attachment is an issue since I get this funky effect from just rotating the particle system normaly with the handles in the editor.

I just made a new particle system. Gave it an initial velocity in only positive X and then added a velocity over life module with "1" in all axes and it screws up the direction of the particles if I rotate the system.

Would you like a screenshot?