Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

FF7 Character Modelling - New to modelling

Hi, im pretty new to modelling. I figured I'd learn by trying to model some of the characters from my favourite game, Final Fantasy 7. I'm using Maya. I tried using Zbrush, but i quite like the methodical way of modelling in Maya. I may venture back into zbrush at some point, seeing what can be done with it.

Tifa
The hair is just temporary while I figure everything out

fgfgggf.png

fhgfhfg.png

gfhgfhgf.png

Replies

• Marchwarden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh wow, are you completely new to 3d in general? Because this is fantastic for a beginner, especially considering this is all subdiv and no Zbrush, great job. It's obvious you have a strong artistic foundation, and it's only proof that that is the real requirement in this field.

Keep going on these, they're great. My advice to you is after you finish these to dive into Zbrush. It's completely different from sub-d modeling, but you'll soon learn to love it.
  • Pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I tried about a year ago, making something using nurb curves, following a tutorial, but i wasnt getting the results i wanted and lost interest. I dived back in a few days ago just modelling with polygons. I find i get much better results. I think im a bit lacking in technical skills with maya right now
  • ZeroStrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroStrike polycounter lvl 8
    Zbrush is much more like tradition clay sculpting. Its alot more naturel feeling the characters come to life instead of having to move around single verts. Have you ever use Maya's Soft Selection tool? Its like a whole program and more...MUCH more based off just the concept of that tool. Good luck to you. Alots of learning ahead. Here are some introduction videos from zbrushcentral http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/lesson/introduction-videos/

It might give you some idea of what the program does.
  • Pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would you have to model a face with good topology before taking it into zbrush or using soft selection? Or does it matter? Im planning on trying to rig these models for facial animation at some point
  • Alismuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alismuffin polycounter lvl 7
    You can forget topology while sculpting then retopo after

Looks great btw
  • Pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Barrets face needs a bit of work. I think the proportions are a bit off. Putting a beard on him might help

barretside.png
    dsgdfg.png

And I figured id block out some of Tifa's clothing to cover her up a bit

vcvb.png
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Pixel wrote: »
    Would you have to model a face with good topology before taking it into zbrush or using soft selection? Or does it matter? Im planning on trying to rig these models for facial animation at some point

I would say if you could and do enjoy working with modeling tools to put all you can into the characters in MAYA before jumping into ZBrush. You might do a little extra work but I think It will definitely make a difference when It comes to baking maps.

Am actually going to start doing this and testing this out more, making one design I enjoy in straight zbrush then making a new design with my modeling App. of choice till I absolutely need ZBrush and see how they match up at the baked down level.

As we all see this works best with Hard Surface designs, maybe It's the all around solution.

Best of luck these are looking good!
  • ZeroStrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with $!nz It can help a good bit to finish up the typology as a base to bring into zbrush however it is not critical because zbrush does have good retopoing tools. That is if you enjoy using the modeling tools in the base program (Maya for you). If not you can just start directly in zbrush sculpt away and finish with the retopo. It a high to low or low to high approach both work it all depends on which on you like and what you trying to do. Like if you are doing a very low poly character its best to just start in Maya with the lowpoly, UV, maybe zbrush for a HP (high poly), bake out maps, and texture. Or If you want something realistic you can start in zbrush with the HP, retopo, use UV Master, bake out maps, and then texture.

There are alot of different things out there to help. Here is also a good place to start. http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryCharacter

I wish that I knew about Polycount when I was in High School and College. Would have helped me out SO much.

Also http://www.kalescentstudios.com/troyfolio/Main.htm AKA Hazardous is a really good character artist. Type to find his post and see what you can learn from them.
  • Pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tweeked Tifa's face shape to match her AC model a bit more. Still needs a bit of work

tifamaya.png
  • Pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im gonna leave Tifa's face alone for now. I dont think I can do much more just moving vertexes(verticies?) around

bffbffd.png

Then made a start on Aerith. Doesnt really look like her from most angles lol

aerithhead.png

hbghgh.png
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    vertex, plural is vertices.

these are coming along well man, but i wish you'd just focus on one.
  • Pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :P yeah, i have a habit of jumping from one thing to the next. I'll concentrate on tifa for now. Im gonna have to look a some tutorials, because I dont really know what im doing :P

71mxja.png
  • ZeroStrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks to me like you are doing fine. Just finish up modeling as a whole. Show us the wireframe. Then you can combine and merge the center line vertices.

To do that is pretty simple. Just select the two halves of tifa's body combine them into one. Then take the two opposing vertices on each side and merge them. It helps to have them on a grid line and you might have to turn the merge tolerance up.

Another way is to select the two vertices you want to merge then select the scale tool and scale them down unless they are close enough to merge. Then merge. Just go a long the open area between the two halves until its sewed up. Its like 3D sewing. lol

Good luck.
  • Pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Figured I'd try to get back into modelling. Maya stopped recognising my files when I formatted my computer a few years ago, so I just gave up. I figured I'd try out Blender instead. Only been using it for a few day, still getting used to it. Im still pretty much a noob at this.