Home Unreal Engine

UDK sandbox capabilities

I'm currently building an open world sandbox game with Ce3. I've decided to move to another engine because I'd like the option to gain a license and hopefully sell the game.

I've been considering building this game with UDK, but I'm unsure of it's capabilities regarding an open world game.

So far, in CryEngine 3, I've constructed a largely detailed area, with fully enter-able buildings, all equipped with interiors and interactivity. Everything runs smoothly.

Being a zombie sim, there will be hordes of simple AI. I don't want all the resources to be eaten by the graphics. CryEngine seems to do a good job of optimisation regarding lighting. I'm not sure about UDK though.

Is this type of game possible with UDK? If not, could anyone lead me to an engine that can support this with indie license options.

Thank you.

Replies

• S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Killing floor has allot of zombies in large maps, on an older version i think though.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    UDK is more geared towards smaller, well crafted environments than massive sprawling ones. You can do them, it's just not as easy as other engines might be.

Regarding lots of simplistic AI, it's up to you to reduce the weight of that task. Do zombies persist or are they randomly generated as you approach an area?
  • JasperHope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm hoping to use level streaming quite extensively if that would work. I'd like to aim for a next-gen type quality (being extremely optimistic).

The zombies in cryengine are currently scripted to be persistent. The engine just remembers the location of them and respawns them accordingly. I guess that wouldn't be difficult in UDK.

I'm considering taking a more CoD Zombies approach with all this hype about zombie sims at the moment (DayZ etc), but open world would be preferable, giving an even better horde mode experience with scavenging, building etc.

If any of you guys know of any engines more suitable than UDK, please let me know!

Thanks.
  • Santewi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, as UE3 doesn't have dynamic GI and the dynamic shadows kinda suck, I'd go with CE3 if you have a lot of stuff you can build/move in the game.
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    S_ource wrote: »
    Killing floor has allot of zombies in large maps, on an older version i think though.
    Yeah, it was with UE2.

If you're after an indie type thing then UDK or Unity would be best. Of course they have different license types but I suppose its to your preference. UDK would be good for an open world type game but a lot more work will be required for optimization, culling etc...

Take Silent Hill: Downpour for instance, it uses UE3 and is a great open world type game. But it is known for having bugs/issues.
  • ddproxy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What kind of zombie game, limitations and direction are you going?

I'm interested in making a more 'modular' terrain or world type. Just like being able to enter buildings, should destroy and modify the terrain depending on what you do to it.