Home General Discussion

R.I.P - Paul Steed

Replies

• Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Like a lot of other people here Paul's book was my gateway to 3D character art.
    While I never met him personally his work at the time had a profound influence on why I got into this crazy industry.

Thanks for the push Paul.

R.I.P.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    pestibug wrote: »
    Now, I have an idea sort of, to celebrate this man, why not hold a competition (no prizes, just honors) in his name? Making a crackwhore, or a quake 3 spec character would seem like a proper way to pay respect and tribute to this man.

Bad Girl 2012?

Do the old BIPs even import in the latest software anymore? Using the BIPs would be fitting also, even though it's considerably less effort.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I heard so many great stories about Steed over the years, and of course he had a big impact on Polycount... it's sad that he's gone.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    +1 vote to the Paul Steed Character Art Challenge (busty ladies encouraged)
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Sad sad news! :(

He was such a huge influence on the boards back in the day. Bad Girl 2012 seems like a fitting tribute. Geospheres non-optional.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    +1 vote to the Paul Steed Character Art Challenge (busty ladies encouraged)

With boots! Can't forget about the boots. :)
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    R.I.P Paul

A mentor to many, directly or indirectly who will be sorely missed :(
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    Today is Quake day for me. I'll meet you there bro!
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
    Oh shit! Way to start the day...

/me raises railgun
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    So no other website has corroborated this? All just links back to JHS?
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    This is really sad news. :(

The first time I ever tried to get animated geometry into a game was when Q3A hit the shelves. I somehow struggled with the animation and its config files - and after reading an interview with Paul over at (I think) planetquake I thought: "Hey, before you give up, just give it a try and contact id and ask.".

So I did write a long mail describing what I was trying to do and asking if someone could tell me where to find more information on the topic - and Paul was not only kind enough to answer but to describe in detail where my files were flawed. And then HE thanked ME for showing interest in his work. I was absolutely flabbergasted.

That was a long time ago. Even though I earn my money with 3d I never tried to actually get work in the games industry. But every now and then people ask me how I learned "all this 3d stuff" and when I tell them I always make sure to not forget the part about how Paul Steed and I exchanged a couple of mails and how I even after all this time think how cool that was.

It propably sound rather cheesy by now, but I am really thankful for how he influenced me personally and the community as a whole.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Whooof! This is heavy. I remember following Paul's modeling advice on proper mesh optimization, deformations, and UV layouts. I even remember facing against him in one of the old competitions. (I believe he made a Felix-the-Cat model that was flipping everyone off)

My prayers go out to his surviving family. This is indeed a sad time for the Polycount community. Paul Steed was one of this site's earliest and most influential members. Gonna have to break out my copy of Quake II that I loaded up with custom player models from these very boards and have a few deathmatch games to remember him by.

And another vote in favor of a commemorative "Bad Girl" modeling competition.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    RIP Paul Steed. My modeling hero for many years. I studied his work for countless hours and learned to model using his book. I'm sure I owe him much of my success.
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    RIP Paul. It took me all day to summon this post, I'm so sorry to his family and friends. He was such an awesome guy. I'll miss him. May his work live on forever.

RIP.
  • Digital_3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Digital_3d polycounter lvl 9
    Rest in Peace Paul.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    damn! one less badass in the world now...
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    anyone hear cause of death yet? Wayyy too young.. :(
  • shagspear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shagspear polycounter lvl 18
    I just heard about it. Almost a year after his death :( No word can express my sadness.

He was truely inspirational, I remember him back in the early Polycount/Quake world days and I saved every one of his articles on Loony Games and also Gamasutra magazines. Also spent countless hours dissecting his Quake 2 and Quake 3 models, and when he finally published his book, I went out and bought the first edition. Still have the book on my desk besides my workstation. Its like the bible.

anyone hear cause of death yet? Wayyy too young.. :(

Spent about few hours googling, and found this :
    http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175792

I am guessing he died of substance abuse (most likely alcohol). Apprently he was legendary for bar brawls during and after E3. There was a mention of the last studio he started got shut down a month before his death.
    "In late 2010 he started a small studio for UTV Ignition in Austin, Texas serving as GM and Game Director for an unannounced UE3 FPS that the publisher abruptly shut down in July of 2011.

On August 11, 2012, Paul Steed passed away."

Perhaps not directly related, but might have contributed to his passing.

Finding out (partially) how he die didn't make me think any less of him. We all have our demons. But he was truely a legend in his own right. One of the very first 3D modeler for realtime 3D game, and the very best of the best at that. And he came back and contributed so much for the community.

Truely sad news. I had wish to meet him in person, guess I will never do now.

Rest in Peace Brutha!
  • Jon Jones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jon Jones polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, a year already. He was based in Austin for awhile and would come to my Austin Game Dev Beer Nights, and we'd talk sometimes. I fanboyed out HARD when I found out who he was. :)

After he passed, I put together a memorial Beer Night with the local dev community, and got dozens of people that had worked with him over his 20+ year career to come up and talk about fun memories they had working with him and the good things he'd done for them. We had about 100 people. It was extremely intense and emotional. I didn't know him very well at all, but he was my biggest inspiration as an artist when I was younger, and it really hit me. RIP, Steed.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    necro bump on a necro thread... what a bad taste man.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    lol

Bad taste, indeed...
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How is this in bad taste? shagspear posted solid and relevant info, a heartfelt tribute, and in exactly the right thread.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with bumping an old thread, as long as there are no other more recent threads on the subject, and what you add is relevant and informative.

Where is the harm?
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty sure that was a joke man
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The play on words I get, but saying it's in bad taste makes it a bit of a troll move.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Yes I was trolling with sarcasm
    I don't think Blazier was
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Let us not bring into this thread derailment.

O/T:
    When is the contest tribute?
    :)
    Seems very appropriate to have one eventually, if people have the time that is.

Edit:
    & thanks for the information I was curious about what had happened.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Looks like someone used the De-Rail gun...
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun wrote: »
    I don't think Blazier was
    Kinda hard to tell with him
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    How is this in bad taste? shagspear posted solid and relevant info, a heartfelt tribute, and in exactly the right thread.

huh? solid relevant info? are you serious?

BTW, it's info from more than a year. In my country this kind of things are of a very very bad taste. So sorry, but let him rest in peace. If you want further info, and you are bored, google it and go to wikipedia.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Save whatever other derailments or arguments you may have for private messages. This is not the place for bickering.

Please do not make this a thread that warrants locking.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Oh man what news. RIP my friend. I still have one of his modelling books.