Home Unreal Engine

Make the render mesh the collision mesh

I'm new to UDK and can't work out how to make the render mesh the collision mesh.

I've created a bunch of houses and want the render mesh to be the collision mesh. I've looked through the documentation but found nothing.

Please help!

Replies

• JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    There's per poly collision you can enable in the Static Mesh Editor, but it's very slow and not as robust as convex hulls.
  • JasperHope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild wrote: »
    There's per poly collision you can enable in the Static Mesh Editor, but it's very slow and not as robust as convex hulls.
    Thanks for the reply. For a static mesh such as a house, would per poly collision have a large effect on the performance? I intend to create a lot of these houses. It worked absolutely fine in CE3.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    Depends on the polygon density of the house. I'd imagine UDK/PhysX are intelligent enough to do a bounding box check first so as long as not much comes into contact with it, it might be fine.

If it's just a single house though, why not make some quick optimized geometry before export or use the inbuilt convex generation tools?
  • JasperHope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild wrote: »
    Depends on the polygon density of the house. I'd imagine UDK/PhysX are intelligent enough to do a bounding box check first so as long as not much comes into contact with it, it might be fine.

If it's just a single house though, why not make some quick optimized geometry before export or use the inbuilt convex generation tools?

Ok, most of my house variations are pretty much the same mesh, so I'm going to dedicate the next few hours to making some collision meshes for them.

Thank you for the help :)