Home Technical Talk

texturing a complex object

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
4evra polycounter lvl 4
I've got an complex object.Entire side of a stadium crowd area.It started as a simple cube,then i added details and formated it in a way i wanted.So,its a 1 object,not more of them attached together.
Anyway,i want to texture that object with UWunwrap.

1.Once the UWunwrap generates the pattern,how can i know which part of patern is which part of the object?
Is there any way where i could select some part of pattern,and the Max would highlight it on object?

2.Can i select just some parts of my object,the ones i want(they don't have to be close to each other) and just do UW unwrap on them?

Right now,im not near my home PC,so i can't put any pictures to explain more precisely what i want.If needed,i can post them tonight.

Replies

• Novian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Novian polycounter lvl 12
    4evra,

What I would recommend is to break your stadium up into logical, modular chunks. Unwrap one "copy" of each chunk and get that sorted. Then you can combine all the chunks and wherever you need some unique detail you can select just those sub-chunks and separate them on the UV sheet. And yes, Max does have a feature that while you are in the edit uv window if you select by element, it will highlight that element on the model so you can see exactly which part you are editing.

Hope this helps and show us some pics if you get stuck. There are plenty of folks here who are very willing to help.

Cheers~
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1. If you select faces in the unwrap, they should highlight on the model and vise versa...try hitting F2 if that isn't the case.

2. No you cant just do it by faces. You could separate the model into pieces, do your unwraps separately, then reattach.
  • 4evra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks.
    Now,my follow up question would be:
    whats the easiest/best way to split this object into parts?
    What im doing is selecting polygons of a "sub" object i want to extract,than doing shift drag and cloning it,and after that i place it back.It works that way for me,however,there is a bit of trouble with placing it at exact same place,not to mention that the "original" part still stays there.I guess i can delete that original whole object after i split it whole,but still,there is room for a mistake when manually placing those pieces back.
    Is it the right way to do it,or there is some method by which the parts of an object are separated without them leaving theirs original locations?