Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Soul Calibur Lizardman "Redesign"

Update:

Final Piece! This character went through quite a vast change since I last posted because I decided to redesign him again. I need as much feedback as I can get on the final piece for my evaluation so please comment and also a big thank you to those who helped me previously with the stellar advice. :)

LizardShow78.jpg

LizardShow66.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=065wfEIomp4&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=065wfEIomp4&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

LizardShow86.jpg

LizardShow83.jpg

LizardShow84.jpg

LizardShow85.jpg

LizardShow90.jpg

LizardShow87.jpg

LizardShow88.jpg

LizardShow89.jpg

Diffuse
LizardShow77.jpg

Opacity
LizardShow70.jpg

Specular
LizardShow69.jpg

Normals
LizardShow68.jpg

Replies

• Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    I'ts a good start, but you should try to focus on making him look relaxed when posed, making him look natural and balanced when in his neutral pose, like these recent posts:

Bam Bam Bam

Even the last fella isn't exactly a human, and his limbs are a bit straighter than the others, yet he looks relaxed and balanced. Your guy has super straight legs, arms, fingers, and looks like he would fall forward. If I were you, I'd try and adjust his limbs at a lower subdivision level and make him look like he's standing there. This will help with defining the muscles, and how natural he will look in the end. Good luck :)
  • Zeluron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Many thanks Shrew! Don't worry, the character is in T position at the moment and will be moved into a more natural pose at the end when he's rigged up. I usually model hands in a more natural pose but my lecturer seems to prefer the hands straight and outstretched. I agree that his overall balance is going to be an issue, I'll try making his tail larger/longer to offset his current forward heaviness.
  • Zeluron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tail extended to improve balance.

LizardShow07.jpg
  • wolver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like he has pecs and a six pack on his back, might want to change that. in the ref you posted lizard man has thin hips, whereas you've given him a bit of an hourglass shape, narrowing the hips could be an improvement.
    with the feet theres a strange lump he has behind his metatarsals, its personal preference really but its a bit unusual, if you look at a cats feet for example you can see they lack the lump and balance on their toes.
    im liking the armour, keep it up : ]
  • Sparr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
    I agree that you should make the hips very narrow and perhaps extend his torso upwards a bit to accommodate it. The tail is also very unnatural looking, it's like you have it coming out of his stomach instead of his 'tailbone'. Give him a basic 'hip' section like on an action figure, THEN extend the tail from that, like an extension of his backbone.
  • Aga22
  • Zeluron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, your advice is very helpful :).

@Paintforge
    About his back, those were meant to be his rib cage/shoulder blades, I have smoothed them down. I've fixed up the hourglass shape and pulled his hips in. Tried fixing up his feet, made them larger and removed the lump. This part is troubling as he's a heavily built character he doesn't look right being too much on his tippy toes.

@Sparr
    I've extended his torso and pulled his weight back a bit so he's not so hunched over forward. The tail issue is likely still present, I'll get on that later.

Using a deathclaw reference to help improve the feet.

Babydeathclaw.png

LizardShow09.jpg

LizardShow08.jpg
  • wolver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    two small things- the flow of the tail to spine - theres an odd lump that interrupts the flow,
    removingthat could help spine flow, also the tail going directly into the stomach as spar said.
    SGZ6l.png
    another thing that might be preferential, but since its based on humanoid anatomy- the length of the fingers compared to length of the palm, lengthening the palm should allow for better grip and such.
    glhf
  • Zeluron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! Still slowly working on this, I'm saving the retopology/texturing for when the uni semester begins. I've straightened out the bump and extended his hand a little, given him a tongue and been playing with the textures of his skin on his back/tongue/head fan..thing.

LizardShow10.jpg

LizardShow12.jpg

LizardShow11.jpg
  • Zeluron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump!

As the character is complete I now need feedback on the final piece for my evaluation so please leave a comment, good or bad. Thanks! :)
  • Zeluron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump!

Please give me some feedback on the piece, I need it for my assignment for precious bonus marks! :)

Personally if I was being critical to myself I'd say that while it has improved a lot since the start there's still things that don't make much sense.. Perhaps the mesh is too colorful and makes him look like a big lizard man clown? The specular is just a crap rehash of the diffuse with the contrast pulled up and darkened. Does it make no sense how the armor is attached to the character in places? Is it a bit odd how I've used wood as trim on metal armor? That hanging piece of armor between his legs would probably cause chafing. It's supposed to be made of leather with metal plates but maybe it's hard to tell what material the pieces are meant to be? Anyway, please leave a comment!

:thumbup: