Home Unreal Engine

Point light moveable limit

polycounter lvl 12
Online / Send Message
HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
Hi all , me again :D. This time i would like to know your opinion on Point lights moveable, I fall in love with them cause of sharp stencil shadows. But with just 10 of them in my map + one dominant directional the whole map went slugish, as if it has become 3DMark or Haven benchmark software :).

I optimised my meshes, remove meshes but still no luck, the moment i deleted the moveable lights it went smooth again. Soo why they are there in UDK when you cant use them.

Replies

• osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Press ALT-7 in your editor to view the world using the light-complexity mode. It will show you how complex your lighting is in in certain parts of your map.

They are there to help you out, but don't go crazy with them :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    UDK isn't designed to have more than a few movable lights in a scene, it isn't a deffered render. It is meant to have baked lighting.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea the way UDK is right now is designed to have minimal real time lights. You want to avoid them like the plague...

I'm not saying you shouldn't use them...but you really only want 1 dynamic light (or less) hitting any given mesh.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    hmm, sp basically if you come up with a game light design that depends heavy on sharp stencil cold shadows, UDK is a no no. I wonder if cryengine 3 has similar issues. Thanks all you folks, i did light complexity test and it was red (i guess it was bad :D ) . So i removed all but 2 lights and it was fine again all green.

Sigh i should make my own master thread :D, questions i have asked here never reieved feedback as search more you noob :D your question has already been answered.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You can play with the shadow settings for baked shadows, I'm sure you can get it to a point where it will work, but the lightmap resolutions might have to be pretty high.