Home Unreal Engine

Landscape Tesselation

decorix
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
decorix polycounter lvl 11
Hi,

I've created a landscape in udk, but I would like to have more tesselation in my landscape. I don't mean the tesselation in the material editor.

So .

In the landscape Editor I have tried to change it with more components size adding more quads but when I hit change component size it doesn't update at all. It still looks the same. Does anybody know why this is happening?

Thanks

landscapetesselation.jpg

Replies

• wes.sau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know any specifics on what data you have and what you're entering, but I think if you try to input incompatible numbers that nothing will happen. All that component size is for is to re-chunk the quads you have (without adding or removing more) into fewer or more components, so you can tune the number of draw calls (components) to the needs of your blending. For example if you are using a lot of layers in close proximity on the landscape you'll want more smaller components to avoid a component having too many layers.

But the simplest thing you can do to get more density is to just make a landscape that's twice as large (heightmap-dimensions/total quads) and just scale the drawscale down by half to give you double tesselation. Keep scaling down to get more density as you need it.

Tip: Once you have a good landscape size figured out that you always want to start with, you can make a map template out of it to appear in the new map options or even the startup map: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/CreatingANewMap.html