Home Unreal Engine

Material instance constant / multiple meshes

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
Hi all ok so while working on my level i came across another question in head.

I have several emmit map information on my texture, so im confused which way to go with.

1. have multiple copies of same mesh in 3ds max with unique UV specific to each emmit texture location.

OR

2. Simple copy the mesh in UDK and make Material constan for that specific mesh and change the light (emmit) color.

I am sure with modern hardware having 3 4 material copies in UDK wont be a issue. (correct if wrong ) :).

I feel method one will consume more time and eat package space for only one reason lol, having unique UV for emmit light.

Any suggestion guys / girls :)

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Material instant constants are very cheap. They're not as expensive as a new mesh and take up very little memory. I'd do that.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    ya like sprunghant said Material instances are cheap, but if you dont want a ton of variant mic's you could always define the emit colour using the meshes vertex colour.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I would recommend you do it via a mask multiplied over a vector parameter. While you could do it via vertex color, it's a pain to go back and forth between max (unless I am mistaken on this). With a vertex parameter you can easily adjust the color settings in UDK on the fly and get the exact color needed for your lighting.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    praetus wrote: »
    I would recommend you do it via a mask multiplied over a vector parameter. While you could do it via vertex color, it's a pain to go back and forth between max (unless I am mistaken on this). With a vertex parameter you can easily adjust the color settings in UDK on the fly and get the exact color needed for your lighting.

when i mentioned i was thinking he would just do colour fill with the mesh paint tool in UDK, and use the vertex colour node exactly how you want to use the vector 3 paramater.

the advantage being you can change the emmsive colour per mesh, without creating extra material instances.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    if they're in different locations on the map you could use kismet to change the colour of the material as the player moves into different areas.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    If you want unique settings for each object, I think you should be able to use the X,Y,Z of the object to put into the vector 3 parameter, since none of your objects will be in the same location, the information sent to the shader will always be different from object to object.