Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Lineage II Sword - Blood Orchid

Tairii
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Tairii polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, I've been working with Maya (I'm a native 3ds Max user), and I've decided I'm ready to get my feet dirty with a non-tutorial project. I also figure this is a great time to get critiques to stop bad habits before they form. I will be modeling the sword Blood Orchid from Lineage II

Concept Art:

sword1l.jpg

How I Plan to Tackle the Parts:

gameplan1.jpg

I'll start modeling tonight and I'll try to post an update three times a day (if not three, a minimum of one a day).

First update will be tonight!

Replies

• Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Whoa, another Lineage II project? http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102375
    Kool, cant wait to see progress
  • Tairii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tairii polycounter lvl 9
    Whoa, another Lineage II project? http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102375
    Kool, cant wait to see progress

Thanks, although I'm sure you are far ahead of me in the realm of 3D, my first year anniversary will come in October, haha.
  • Tairii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tairii polycounter lvl 9
    Update 001:

test001g.jpg

Wireframe and Poly/Tri count

gilestyreebloodorchidwi.jpg

This is my first time box modeling with an image, so any critiques or tips would be invaluable. Progressing fairly well at this point, I'm not getting lost in Maya's UI :poly124:

Comments and Critiques appreciated and very much needed.

Edit: How can I get that sword like rounded feel to the model? I'm not planning on doing it now, but I will probably get to that point tomorrow. Thanks guys, I have a lot to learn.

Edit 2: And the sharp edge look.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I think you're starting out with way too much rez on your model. I'd recommend just blocking out the mesh - meaning you're keeping the mesh really simple, starting from a cube and making all the shapes required with a low amount of geometry. After you have all the pieces in place, you can then start detailing, adding rounded edges, etc. This is a much easier way to work as you're not going into details straight away but planning ahead and keeping the geometry manageable. In terms of the question about edges on the sword, you can add bevels later that will give the edges a nice rounded look :D

Lastly keep an eye on the silouette of the model when modeling. You can hit '7' in Maya for lit mode - if there are no lights in the scene, your model will appear black and you can check the forms a lot more easily. Looking forward to seeing your progress, peace!
  • Tairii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tairii polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, this project will have to be cancelled. For how long, I'm not sure. Startup repair is fixing disk errors and it's been running for about a hour and a half. If it cannot be repaired by windowss, I might be out of action until Janaury :(.

Wish me luck

- Ty
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what? good luck, i guess.
  • Tairii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tairii polycounter lvl 9
    Since I'm bored, think I will give another update. Startup repair fixed some things, but now when I log on, it shows a black screen rather than the login screen. I can't boot safe mode nor can I boot low resolution mode. Doing a memory check now and a system restore if this doesn't work. I'm afraid I'm running out of options. :(