Home General Discussion

I am lost with the topology

Replies

• Krio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see what you mean, i really want to start how to this. Will do when i came back from vacation. Just i am searching now some tutorials/workshop how to approach retopology thing.

I see is way to technical for me now.
  • Krio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Watching Alex Alavarez, The making of Gathering, he mention for the re topology the monster, he just follow the anatomy?

So basically i need to follow the anatomy of the characters/creature so in that way i will get low poly? And will see where the character going to bend so i can add edge loops around it. Am i going in right direction?
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    Like many have said in this thread, don't concern yourself with the act of re-topology at this moment.

Do some tests. Really simple scenarios where you aren't working with anything of importance. That way you don't have to worry about having to rework anything like you mentioned before. Figure out what works for each scenario, and then apply it to your models. I'm sorry to tell you, there isn't a clear cut solution to this stuff like you are wanting. The topology of a model is dependent on what the model will be doing and the constraints of the platform on which it will be viewed. Honestly, the best way to learn is just to try. I don't understand your hesitation.
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    Krio wrote: »
    Watching Alex Alavarez, The making of Gathering, he mention for the re topology the monster, he just follow the anatomy?

So basically i need to follow the anatomy of the characters/creature so in that way i will get low poly? And will see where the character going to bend so i can add edge loops around it. Am i going in right direction?

The higher the target resolution of the model, the closer you can get to accurate representations of anatomy, yes. There are still instances where a simplification of a region maybe be preferred for deformation's sake. The topology of the upper back could be a good example of this: in some cases (particularly higher-res models) you may see the directionality of topology influenced by the traps and lats, but in fact the model may untimely deform more cleanly if the polys were arranged in a clean quad grid.

Ideally, a strip of quads should be aligned along a compression zone, where the two verts of either opposing side can come together or pull apart equally, as to deform in the cleanest possible fashion. I'll admit, this is kind of difficult to put to words, and I hope I am coming across clearly, but I'm not so sure a video would help me explain this any better.
  • Krio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea i am gonna do some tests. But again, while i am doing that tests, how to see does my topology gonna work? Should i rig, skin and re rig, re skin?

Or i can do that in Topogun, for example making retopology for a arm, and then to see how going to bend or move?
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Krio wrote: »
    Yea i am gonna do some tests. But again, while i am doing that tests, how to see does my topology gonna work? Should i rig, skin and re rig, re skin?

Or i can do that in Topogun, for example making retopology for a arm, and then to see how going to bend or move?

You should just create a cylinder, rig it, skin it and see if it works for you. :)
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Topology really isn't that hard to get your head around, you just need to dive straight in with it. Find a picture of some good character topology on the wiki, sit down and try to replicate it. Rig your model with a simple rig and mess about with it to see why certain edgeloops are in certain places and then repeat. There is more than enough info on the wiki for you not to have to go tutorial hunting.