Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

mp5k submachine gun

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
b2W3R8.png[/URL[/URL]]

iA5yMb.png[/URL[/URL]]

so I decided to make a unique thread for this guy, I've been working on it for a little while now, I'm happy with how the model has turned out, and now I just have to focus on texturing this, which I am currently not that great at, so any crits on the textures would be great.

Somewhat early wip on the texture right now. Mostly just base materials with a light overlay and some dirt

mQVSi0.png

Replies

• zombie420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zombie420 polycounter lvl 10
    Pretty solid model and normals. Tracking this.
  • Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm just nit picking but it seems the side of the rear sight has some smoothing errors. I'm having a hard time seeing since my screen at work is poor.

Other than that I'm looking forward to the texture, looks good so far
    :)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    The stamped slit on the side is much too wide and sharp.
    The front sight post isn't flat on the sides, but it's got a slight bulge to it.
    Front grip part (especially the protecting block all the way up front) is very sharp and doesn't feel like plastic.
    Magazine has a physically separate bottom plate(that you can see from the side), it's not a single object like you modeled it.
    There's actually only 3 fins on the barrel I think. Plus you don't see them with a silencer because it's a locking mechanism.
    The rear sight post and center block thing should be welded on I believe.

Anyway i'm not an accuracy nazi (I might sound like one) regarding guns, but you've missed a few key features that make it more interesting.
    Other than that it looks clean and wel baked, it's really just some accuracy/aesthetic issues.
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zombie - thanks man :)

hang10 - yeah there are a couple of errors like this due to a shitty low poly, I'm going to be adressing these once I fix up the mistakes xoliul pointed out, thanks man

xoliul - hey thanks for the comments man, looks like I'm going back to the high poly
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    computron - thanks, although it's 3point shaders quality normals doing most of the work, the bake itself is kinda eh since theres only a single smoothing group

ok so I've updated the highpoly, now I gotta edit the low poly/uvs and then rebake.

in this one, I've added the bulge to the front sight, softened up the front grip, made the slit a little less wide, made the bottom plate on the magazine, and took a fin off the adapter, but I decided to keep it because some refs I used have it on with a silencer, and it looks cool with it on. I also added some welding, thanks again for the comments xoliul.

zgk9Pl.png
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    The plastic foregrip still has really hard edges, you should go real soft and smooth with it.
    also those details (the ridges with bulges to clamp rails on) on the top part of the receiver are very sharp. Remember the receiver is entirely stamped, you just can't get that sort of sharpness unless it's actually cut.
    just try and look at reference a bit more
  • AdamRodgers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking very sweet chap, but the front grip is losing some of its form, pull that top part in a little I suggest. (It might be the angle and lighting throwing me but worth a look Id say). Nice work.
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam & xoliul - thanks for the comments I hope this iteration is a little bit better.

alright, made some more changes, and finally got to rebake the asset, time to get into texturing it

KJu799.png
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FvgaJ0.png

alright so texture update, I'm just about ready to call the metal complete, but there are still some areas that are bugging me that I'm going to fix, and then I have to refine do the silencer and it'll pretty much be complete. again all crits or comments are welcome