Home Technical Talk

Xsi to Marmoset obj problem

shuboba
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
shuboba polycounter lvl 12
Hello everyone . I have made a high poly mesh , then low poly , baked a normal map in xnormal . When I preview the LP with the normal map in xnormal's 3d viewer or in Xsi it looks ok. But when I import my obj in Marmoset i get some bad results . So here is what I do :

I eport my LP mesh from XSI with averaged normals

Attachment 1
(and also check the user normals option on export)

and then bake it in xnormal. When I iport it in Marmoset it looks like this :

Attachment 2
(I awso tried to triangulate my mesh before exporting it , but again no result.)

I also tried applying Geometry aproximation , tangent , binormal (don't realy know why about the last one , just for testing) but still nothing happened.
Then I import my mesh in MAX and gave it a Edit normals modifier with Unify:

Attachment 3

Exported as an Obj and when I imported in to Marmoset :
Attachment 4

I get a perfect result. I get the same result when I export my mesh from XSI as an FBX file . So the bottom line is I get this green and red lines when I export from XSI as an obj , but when I export it from Max or as an FBX it looks ok ( tangent basis - don't really know what are they)
Here is a link to my LP and NM (NM it's a little large because it's a part of a weapon ).
http://www12.zippyshare.com/v/48288602/file.html

I'm not good at Max and please if anyone can explain to me why is this happening I will be grateful :)

Replies

• cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Try using FBX to export to xnormal and later to marmoset. Make sure "export tangents / binormals" is checked on export. It's also advisable to harden the edges of the mesh where your uv island borders are located (so don't unify normals).

Either way, make sure that the exact same mesh you baked the texture for is also the one used for visualization.. same smoothing groups/hard edges, same triangulation, same tangent basis etc.
  • shuboba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does game engines handle FBX better than OBJ ? (Thanks for the reply :) )
    But I want to know why does those lines appear when I average my normals in XSI and Export as an OBJ , even if my mesh is a cube or something else , where the same meshes looks ok exported as na OBJ's from MAX for example. Just the tangent basis doesn't seem to collaborate well between the programs and I realy need to know how to export OBJ file from XSI to Marmoset with those tangent basis looking OK
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    that's the thing, from what I remember, obj doesn't carry your tangent basis from app to app, while (newer) versions of fbx does :)
  • shuboba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They seem to go out from MAX ok , do you know why ? (thanks man you are great help :) )
  • pasha_sevez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pasha_sevez polycounter lvl 13
    shuboba, I'm facing the similar problems when previewing xsi-models in marmoset. Even if I don't get problems without normal map applied, I see them after for sure. I use the same pipeline xsi -> xnormal -> marmoset. But actually I have to use some side app (Maya/Max) to import ant then export model again for baking and viewing in Marmoset. It looks like it's a problem of XSI - it writes obj or fbx in wrong format or so.
    I'll try to play with fbx, but for now there's no solution without using side app.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    It looks like it's a problem of XSI - it writes obj or fbx in wrong format or so. I'll try to play with fbx, but for now there's no solution without using side app.
    FBX is the solution, no side app required.
  • shuboba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes , FBX files came out OK from XSI , for now I will try and see if I can find some more information . If I find anything I will post :) thank you guys for your reply's :)