Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Decon Check Point

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
I am working on a UDK scene inspired by Concept art from Last of Us.

9YiJ1.jpg

I still have quite a few things to do.
  • Rubble and trash
  • Decal Graffiti and Blood stains
  • Buildings for the background.
  • Particles for water spray.
  • Dying foliage
  • Re-baking normal maps from messed up Gamma correction.
  • Following suggestions.

Thank you for looking.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Nice start, every thing looks great so far, can't wait to see some plants. Did you update to July 2012 yet?
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have not, I guess I need to do it-it is just usually a bit painful switching between versions of UDK during a project. I need to though, since this version's dx11 killed post processes.
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    Fuck that concept is perfect. Maciej Kuciara is a god.
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InProgress polycounter lvl 14
    Looks great! Although, you could tone down slightly the noise on the concrete barriers.
    Do you intend on making the puddle as well?
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o: I would have to agree whole heartedly. Thank you for giving that artist a name, man does he do good work.

InProgress: I do intend in having another go at that damn puddle, I think I will have to make it a decal as I can't get it to look good as a straight Landscape material. I think I may of reduced the noise too much on the Jersey barriers...

Any way Progress

5MgRv.jpg
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I think the biggest issue right now is the composition. The angle isn't that interesting and you've only got the barriers in the foreground. I'd say work on adding lots of debris, dirt and paper lying around. On the concept you've got some kind of tarp or something hanging from the overhang-bridge-thing, maybe try to incorporate something like that?

The concept also seems to have a lower FOV so maybe try to decrease your FOV to match it, just try different things and maybe you'll find something interesting :)

Good work so far! Looking forward to more progress!
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, got busy with another project... must finish this one first, lol. Let's see still wanting to do 2 more plants and maybe a few more static meshes. Rubble has been a pain, I just can't wrap my head around it. I want to blend some cracks into the asphalt-not sure if I am going to try to bring back the puddle. Trying to figure out a good composition shot still. That tarp chrisradsby suggested scares me a lot... Maybe because the last time I did cloth it came out so badly.

Progress

qYbKh.jpg

j2wRH.jpg

Suggestions, comments, or whatever else is welcome. If you want to see any meshes or flats, let me know. Thank you for looking.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Have been enjoying seeing this progress :) Some really nice work here, man.

My thoughts are that you might need some far background stuff - You've got the foreground and middle distance nicely laid out, but it's missing something at the far back, that'd break the empty parts of the skyline up a bit.

I think the scene feels a little too warmly lit now, too. I preferred it when it felt colder as it suited the idea of the scene better.

The bottles also seem oddly placed - If this outpost is abandoned, why would there be highly valued, full bottles of drink placed on the barriers? If they were empty, they would have blown off in the wind, and would be dirtied up a bit.

Can you soften up the shadows of the barbed wire, too? They're looking a bit too sharp and dark, atm.