Home Unreal Engine

Skyrimesque area hard loading?

Hi Folks

I'm having a small problem loading interior cell's on a mainly exterior map within the UDK. I'm aiming for a skyrim/fallout approach however the problem arises when it comes to transitioning from outside to inside. At each door of an outside building (static mesh), i would like to trigger a map change to load the interior (Different .udk file). I could of course trigger a map change within kismet using a (used) triggered console command (eg. open "mapname"). When venturing back outside using the same method however, it will cast me right back to the start of the level. Is there away of re-entering the outside world at specific co-ordinates, also retaining weapons/ammunition/health etc? I've tried level streaming, and keeping both exterior and interior house models in the same location but it just didn't work well in practice.

So, before i ramble - Does anyone have any experience of this kind of advanced map transition? Or any work arounds that might prove better? Any advice would be much appreciated! I'll keep at it and report back if i find a useful approach.

Many thanks guys!

Replies

• Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Without scripting a bit it will be hard I think.

A simple way would be to teleport the player to the last remembered door used when loading the map. I don't know if you can create this memory variable with only kismet.
  • TheSerum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Froyok

Yeh i've had a play with the teleport function, because my backup plan was to have the player teleport to a levelstreamed interior area out of view range. Its a bit of a commando workaround and very rough around the edges though. Using teleport's from map to map might be an idea, but i dont know if it will work in practice. I'll give it a go and report back. Any more idea's guys?

Thanks again buddy!