Home Technical Talk

Maya pixel snap texture bleed conundrum

Kinky
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Kinky polycounter lvl 9
Hey all,

Im working on a model that requires all UV shells to sit edge to edge on pixel borders (low res textures). Ive used pixel snap in Maya to make sure all my UV edges are on pixel borders. Everything appears to be fine with my shells.

However, my texture is bleeding pixels across UV shells. Nothing appears to be wrong in Photoshop or on my UV shells (straight adges, defined pixels, no overlapping, no edges off borders) however when I view my texture in the UV layout window it appears blurred.

I dont know if Maya is filtering my texture in a strange way or its something to do with the viewport/production render and thats what is causing it?

Ive used Blinn and Lambert materials with just a colour channel and tried every filter option.

Heres some pictures of what I mean...

Click Me

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

Many thanks

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I mean your texture looks blurry in photoshop anyway, and sometimes snapping to the center of pixels might work better, but besides all of this, unless you turn off filtering altogether (mostly done in mobile games) you will get mip mapping bleed.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Try opening up the material's attributes and look under the hardware texturing tab. Change Texture Filter to "nearest (unfiltered)". By default, Maya uses bilinear filtering (I think) unless you switch it off. There's a way to apply the filter setting globally as well, but I've forgotten how.