Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

need some feedback

Just looking for some feedback from people. Modeled and unwrapped in 3ds Max and maps are 1024 x 1024.

Replies

• praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    For being 1024 maps there is not the amount of detail present that i would expect. Also your normal maps are very grainy as if you just threw a metal or noise texture through the NVidia plug in in photoshop. You actually have a fairly solid grasp of modeling (although you have some unnecessary geo in the guitar sprockets) and your UV layout looks fairly clean. The biggest thing that kills these though is the textures. Instead of looking at real world ref it looks like you threw some noise and clouds from photoshop into the diffuse and called it a day. I would recommend that you work harder on texturing in the future because it looks like you rushed through it on every one of these models.

Keep up the good work though. You've got a good start.
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    You shouldn't use ngons for modeling.
  • link697
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you i appreciate the comments
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    superdenny707 polycounter lvl 13
    One thing that I've always been told for texturing is to make your work tell a story. For example the Axe thingy mabob (sorry not sure what to call it) it does look rather plain, there is no wear and tear on the model. Try to make the final piece looked used, maybe some battle scars, discolored wood where its been held multiple times, dried blood in the cracks where the stains wont come out; stuff like that really helps give props that extra push they need.

And to piggy back off of what ivanzu said, no n-gons. To get rid of n-gons easily in max, I typically use the connect vertex tool (in vertex mode, select to verts on the same face and press CTRL+SHIFT+E). It's a really easy way to get rid of bad geo.