Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Heroes of Newerth Fanart:Bubbles

thingsv.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is my fan art of a game character in Heroes of Newerth, Bubbles. I still need to sculpt in the details and work on the head and feet. Critics would be nice.

Replies

• Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Looking pretty cool; you're getting into some of the secondary forms a little bit early with the cloth. Finish blocking out the major forms first.

His head needs work.
    -Needs a stronger chin.
    -Eyes should probably dropped in as a separate mesh so it's easier to sculpt around.
    -Missing those sharp angles that defines his overall head silhouette.

Arms.
    -They feel a little short but this may be because of some other proportion issues in the torso and legs.
    -forearm lacking volume.
    -Make the spikes on bracelet; if they're not already a separate sub tool make them so it's easier to sculpt and you're isolating geometry.

torso

-Needs more of a pear shape.
    -Watch the spacing of the ridges and the overall thickness between the front and back armor.
    -Loin cloth too short.

Legs
    -Too long, lack volume.

Staff
    -Too soft, Needs sharper angles to define the silhouette.

TLDR;

Pull it back to the core character and focus on nailing his proportions first. Then once that's looking really good start layering in the extra stuff. :D
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Big fan of HoN, and Bubbles is one of their strongest character designs in my opinion (one of the few where they did a better job than Valve imo). Looking forward to seeing where this goes. :)

And Gannon pretty much said it all. One principle that really helped me out is that modeling is more about the silhouette than the details. You can fake details with texture but you can only get silhouette from your mesh, so make sure to really nail that. You should go back to your lower subdivision levels and just tweak the proportions until they're right. Remember that the Move brush is one of the best tools in zBrush. :)
  • GonYong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    78450640.jpg

88440049.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't make all the changes you told me to make, but I did get most of them. I made the mesh kind of dense because I'm going to be using it for a school project.