Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP / Need help [low poly texturing]

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jalechah polycounter lvl 17
Hey guys. It's been a while since I've done any 3D modeling and I really want to get back into it. I love low poly work but texturing has always been a little hard.
I drew up a little concept and made the character in 3D.
Total Tri count comes to 272. Right now the texture is 1024x1024 but that's just for the time being
So any tips, words of caution or other forms of help/critz would be appreciated.

Here's what i have thus far.
demonchibillllls.jpg

demooooonchibillllls.jpg

explainsss.jpg

Thank you for your time.

Replies

• JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    For starters your resolution of 1024 is really large for a character in that style. Perhaps you could tighten up your UVs as well.

Aside from that you really need to jump right into it.
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bombshell polycounter lvl 10
    your priorities so far,
    base colours - colour each part in whatever you think the base colour of that area will be,
    colour cleaning - clean the edges and add the largest of details
    colour picking - now you have a basic idea of what the colours will be, make your highlight and shading colours, keep the highlights around the same tones and the shadows around the same tones and likewise the midtones about the same tone.
    basic shading - shade larger details, many ways of doing this, some like myself airbrush, others shade in blocks and blur later
    finer shading - keep shading and highlighting finer and finer details until your happy with the look.

NOTE: before or during shading is when I advise you should set transparencies, it'll help you know where your edges are.

@JO420's reply, you could work in 1024x but it is advised you downscale the final image to 256x for something of this style, some people would argue 128x or 512x but I think 256 would be perfect balance for efficiency and a crisp look.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Bombshell wrote: »
    @JO420's reply, you could work in 1024x but it is advised you downscale the final image to 256x for something of this style, some people would argue 128x or 512x but I think 256 would be perfect balance for efficiency and a crisp look.

If there are not alot of small details perhaps,id say source 512 and scale down to 256 or 128
  • Jalechah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanx for the help. i havent had much time to work on this model :( and ive started over a few times. but finally have a lil layout and base colours in. sorry for the slow progress but feel free to pick out stuff as i go

dgirl_updatepic3107.jpg
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Probably be easier if you try painting in a 3d piece of kit like bodypaint/zbrush/3d coat or other equivalents.
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uberphoenix polycounter lvl 8
    ooo not bad at all :3 looking forward to see moar!

/watched
  • Jalechah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update.
    just added in some shades and the alpha. Although the alpha needs some tweaking, I think next update will be the final product. If you see some areas that could use some extra attention then please point them out :) Despite how obvious the mistakes/need areas might be I might forget about them next time I work on it.

renderdgirl003.jpg
    renderdgirl005.jpg
  • Danglebob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danglebob polycounter lvl 15
    looks good! on the head piece, i would cut the plane into a diamond shape. It will give you a cleaner edge on the jewel and shouldn't mess with your uv's.
    Jalechah_head.jpg
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    my only comment is to look at the what I can only describe as gods of the low poly world and learn as much as you can from there work,
    firstly Tom Tallian - He remade the TF2 characters and they look amaaaaaazing =D
    http://tommytallian.blogspot.co.uk/p/low-poly-tf2.html
    tf2_scout01.jpg
    A 128*128 texture sheet! and less than 500 tri's

and Genc Buxheli - re-created both Altair and other game character in low poly
    http://genci.studiogmsoft.com/
    altair.jpg

Finally Ben Mathis - Yet another talented artist, his main page also has a load of tutorials that are worth going through
    http://www.poopinmymouth.com/index.htm
    ga_greg_const.jpg
  • Hatsya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azzamat, are you recommending him to follow the coloring methods set by those examples? Or do you also recommend to alter his character's body style?
  • rb2610
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's a very noticable seam in the texture where the face meets the left side of the head. You might want to move your UV seam to the back of the head if possible?
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    I was just trying to post up some useful links to some high quality work, also it shows what can be done with low texture sizes.