Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Underground scifi scene (WIP)

polygon
Offline / Send Message
CDeniz polygon
Hey guys, this is my first level and my first time using a game engine (cryengine3).

editor2012072304462065.png
editor2012072304463705.png
editor2012072304464701.png
editor2012072304480882.png
editor2012072304483880.png
editor2012072304484850.png
editor2012072304492286.png

Maybe I will use detail bump maps on those metal walls,,, or I might overlay some noise on the existing normal maps. Im having a headache trying to light my scenes though,,, im currently playing with the light propagation to fake GI and add some indirect light. Anyone know if this is cheap on performance?

Replies

• Benton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good, however the floor needs work. I can see an obvious tiling texture. And the center of the room is bare, there is like one prop in the whole thing. And maybe add some wires, but other then that, I love it!

Any reason you are using Cryengine?
  • CDeniz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz polygon
    Benton wrote: »
    Looks good, however the floor needs work. I can see an obvious tiling texture. And the center of the room is bare, there is like one prop in the whole thing. And maybe add some wires, but other then that, I love it!

Any reason you are using Cryengine?

Yep, the ground is a just a solid with a concrete texture,,, its just there temporarily so that when I generate my cubemaps I dont get chequered patterns from the default texture for solids. I have tiles modelled which will replace the floor.

And Im using the cryengine because its the only one I know,, never used udk. Plus I like that I can jump ingame when ever I want to.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    It's a good start! I agree that the room itself is pretty bare. I'd try to get a focal point somewhere in the room that gives it a purpose. Also, the textures you're using seem low res. I'd like to see where you take this :)
  • CDeniz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz polygon
    leleuxart wrote: »
    It's a good start! I agree that the room itself is pretty bare. I'd try to get a focal point somewhere in the room that gives it a purpose. Also, the textures you're using seem low res. I'd like to see where you take this :)

Thanks. I have several assets I will be placing inside. The textures are all 1024x1024. Is it ok to have them 2k? Im worried that will impact performance, im still new to all this so I dont know the rule of thumb when it comes to poly/tri count and texture size.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    CDeniz wrote: »
    Thanks. I have several assets I will be placing inside. The textures are all 1024x1024. Is it ok to have them 2k? Im worried that will impact performance, im still new to all this so I dont know the rule of thumb when it comes to poly/tri count and texture size.

I guess it depends on what the purpose of this is. If you're doing a standalone environment, I don't think performance is that big of a deal(as long as you can run the editor smoothly yourself), but, I think people prefer seeing more game-ready/optimized levels.

I'd stick with the 1024. But, how is the texture itself? Even if the texture size is 4096x4096, it doesn't matter if the quality is low-res. That'll just be a 4096x4096 image of a blurry/pixelated texture.:)