Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Crit

Hey,
I'm not sure if I have the right section of the forum for this but I thought it sounded the most appropriate XD.

I am a recent graduate from the University of Bolton and am now in the process of breaking into the games industry. I have a portfolio set up and thought I would drop a post and see what people thought and if there was an critique that anyone would like to share, it would be extremely appreciated.

The link is geometryworks.co.uk

Cheers,

Replies

• Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    The tri count on your flatbed hauler is ridiculous. If it's humongous then that might be ok but you should show the scale of it. Right now I just see a pretty basic asset with a huge amount of tris on it. I'd say 20k tris would be fine for it but I dont know how big it is.

If you want to strictly get into the game industry then get rid of the whole castle thing. It doesnt show anything pertaining to your skill in game art. I'd try to replace the Bowden Court with something else or get rid of it. It's really hard to see it because of how the images are set up and its not going to help you get a job.

The windmill is the main thing that will help you out on your portfolio. It's good that it's the first thing you see. If I were you I'd get rid of everything except the windmill/fix the hauler and work hard to make pieces to go in front of them.
  • crestas69
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for your quick reply [FONT=&quot]Macattackk, and I completely agree with you the poly count for the flatbed piece, it is a rather large model the wheels are intended to be the size of a full grown adult. The original brief for that model specified for such a lard poly count but optimisation will be applied to the model, the issue is the poly count contained within the wheels, so when that's down it will be within 20K (fingers crossed).[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I really appreciate your crit and will be creating some more assets like the windmill in my portfolio.[/FONT]
  • North
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    North polycounter lvl 7
    I would try to have a spectacular environment in your portfolio. Nothing in the body of work demonstrates great understanding of prop placement or lighting. It might also help to have some environment art friendly props like rocks and trees.

Your windmill is textured in the most inefficient way possible. That same result could have been done with some small tiling textures. Using 2 x 2k maps just to 0-1 map the entire prop just leaves me to believe you dont know how to use tiling maps.

I would get rid of the textures on the flatbed; looks muddy. I understand you were trying to go for rust but it looks poor. Try thinking about where rust would form before adding it in.

Overall needs alot of work.