Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Steampunk Skyport

This is my first attempt at a full environment, so bear with me.

The idea I'm going for is a floating airport/dock, largely inspired by Airhaven from Phillip Reeve's Mortal Engines books and Bioshock Infinite.

Although as a twist on the idea I'm planning to make it an international dock, so that I can represent different cultures through the designs of their airships the most interesting one I have in mind is an Indian airship, where the passengers ride in a platform above the ballon, much like an elephant rider.

I've put together a rough sketchover the blockout I made in CE3:

skydock.png

And I've started the actual model in 3ds (in CE3 with a human for comparison):

screenshot0005wj.jpg
screenshot0004ym.jpg
screenshot0003g.jpg

As my first attempt at an environment, I've got a couple of questions regarding workflow.
Now I have a basic structure for the main part of the level, would it be better to get the parts I do have fully modelled, textured, etc then move on to other components like crates, railings and so on. Or would it be better to block out absolutely everything including crates etc. before starting all that.
Also, with CE3, I've read in the documentation that chamfering is preferable to additional smoothing groups, as a destructive process I don't want to go chamfering the crap out of everything now only to find I shouldn't have. So is it indeed better to chamfer if using CE3?
(This is also why the smoothing is so messed up in my screens, I haven't touched it yet until I know what approach to take)

Any crits or advice would be great, now back to work for me!