Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] Sci-Fi Server Room

Replies

• Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
    @A-N-P Thanks mate, thanks for the add on twitter, I'm really looking forward to seeing how your medical facility turns out. Unfortunatly, your idea still didn't fix my issue :(. Atm the moment I'm going to put it down to swapping between a DX11 card at work and a DX10 card at home.

Anyway heres where my scene currently stands, I've mainly been trying to iron out a few technical problems, tweak a few textures and nail down the techniques before pushing on. I've also brought the lighting closer to the concept, but this will constantly be tweaked throughout the project.

0015-1.jpg

2denvironments01.jpg
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hnngggg Looking sweet, cant wait till you get some of the atmospherics in! :D
  • Havoc89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havoc89 polycounter lvl 11
    So far so good. :)
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @scotthomer - Cheers Scott, yeah once I get all the main props in I'll start to build up the atmosphere and introduce a few particle effects etc

@Havoc89 - Thanks man

So here is the current progress on the scene, I've also taken some screenshots of some of the individual textures

0021.jpg

FloorTextureA-1.jpg

LightTextureA.jpg

FloorTextureB.jpg

FloorTextureC.jpg

TrimTexture.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Damn, this looks solid :)
    Love the lights since I am a sucker for bloom ;)
    Nice texture work all over, I just think the third floor texture lacks a bit of depth that the others have, with darker ao and highlights.(But it stays pretty true to the concept that way)
  • MaYdaY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaYdaY polycounter lvl 8
    cool progress Grimm. looking forward seeing the final scene. Maybe it needs a little bit mor depth using some fog or negative lights later on.
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Stromberg90 - Thanks mate, yeah your right I'm least happy with the third floor texture and I'm definatly going to be polishing it up abit.

@MaYdaY - Cheers mate, yeah your right about the fog, I'd been leaving it out at the moment as I wasn't quite sure how CryEngine handled fog.

Anyway I've quickly played around at lunchtime and tried to add some fog, it certainly helps but it seems to be acting more like height fog whereas I was hoping for more of an Unreal type fog volume where its more dense the further from the camera it gets. Can this be replicated in CryEngine? I've tried playing around with all the settings but no luck so far:

0022.jpg

Finally I've been working on the Server over the weekend and this is where I'd be seeking the most feedback as designing working products isn't my strongest point :poly127:. The main reason I've choose to re-design it rather than simply copying straight off the concept is I felt like it was a little too simple compared to real life servers.

Anyway heres what I've got so far, theres still some details to add into the normal map but I choose to stop at this stage so that I would be easier to make any changes if nesscessary:

ServerAsset.jpg

The idea is that when finished the blank screens will be animated computer screens similiar to the below image but obviously showing server info etc:

FinalLarge.jpg

Anyway enough waffling by me, let me know your thoughts
  • mbischof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking awesome; I'm loving the material work and overall mood of the environment!
  • Neoncypher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neoncypher polycounter lvl 9
    Great stuff so far mate - love the material definition and texture work, especially the second 'cube' with the lit bit - Also the servers look pretty nice, i'm not sure if you need to really go much further in terms of detail - you could possibly have some of the server blades open/exposed, and have them as if there's some light coming from inside maybe? Either way, I'm liking where this is going :D
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @mbischof Cheers Mate

@Neoncypher Thanks man, yeah your right about not going into much more detail with the servers. Good idea also with the exposed blades, I'm not 100% sure whether I do it or not as one of the things that struck me about the concept was how organised the scene looked but I'll have a bit play about anyway and see which I prefer

Here's another small update:

0025.jpg
  • theonebutcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man! just seen this thread again! looking awesome so far mate! really liking the texture work! cant wait to see this finished!
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    holy shit! blows my concept out of the water dude! so pro :D
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Great work Grimm! Keep up the great work!
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    it could use more hue variety or saturation. the concept isn't particularily colorful but definitely more than your version.
    hues are more distinguishable on it since most metal surfaces are matte there while your version has them fairly shiny
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow this is awesome and the floor panels are awesome. Well everything about this is awesome! Keep up the Great work!
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    Keep going! This is awesome.
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    Looking great. Crits would be that I don’t particularly like the DOF and fog you have currently. IMO I'd get rid of them. Other than that I think it's fine, how do you plan on doing the small button/control lights for the servers textures since they vary?
  • mbischof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking sick man. I think getting the light shafts going through the fog will really help sell the atmosphere and mood of the environment and make it feel like the concept. Looking awesome though!
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @theonebutcher @chris1988green @KennyTies @nathanbarrett - Thanks Guys

@Razorb - I'm pleased you like it mate, I'd hate to think that I made a rubbish job of your excellent concept

@luke - Thanks dude, yeah the floor is flat geometry using POM with the exception of the main path which is slightly extruded out

@Blaisoid I agree about needing to add some colour variety however most of this will be done once the colour grading is done. As for the concept having more matte material, this was Conscientiousness decision on my part as CryEngine scenes imo always look way more cooler when all the lights etc are creating nice reflections

@danpaz3d Thanks for your comments, I'm not 100% happy with the fog and the DOF either and they definatly need some work, I don't think removing them will solve the problem though, they just need some tweaking and a few more elements adding. As for the server lights I'm going to do two versions of the server and then by rotating them around it will equal 4 unique versions, which should hopefully be enough but I can add more if needed

@mbischof Thanks mate, yeah the light shafts will be coming soon, watch this space :D

Thanks everyone for your comments and feedback, you've been a massive help. Things have been hectic here since getting on the weekly recap, so I've got to thank the polycount community. Anyway, I'm still progressing further with the scene:

0028.jpg

I have an interesting bug now where I have the monitor shader applied to a sub-object of the server asset and now they no longer cast shadows. If I remove the monitor shader the shadows return. Is there any solution for this?

Also the monitor asset I've been working on, the screens will eventually have a proper display

Monitors.jpg

I've also uploaded a video showing all the progression images so far in sequence

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj1hMgg8NpQ"]Sci-Fi Server Room - Scene Construction WIP - YouTube[/ame]
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've been fairly quite in terms of posts this week, with the reason being I've been working on the following article with the guys over at Quixel:

I really feel honored to have been asked to do it. So I'd like to send my thanks out to them, especially Wiktor
  • Neoncypher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neoncypher polycounter lvl 9
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys

I'm starting to feel like I'm on the final stretch for this project so I've created a quick image to document what tasks are left. Its late and I'm tired so feel free to pipe up if you think I've missed something:

FinishingTasks.jpg
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what i think is missing is something in the middle ground. its an impressive environment but at least in the current screenshot comp i feel like my eye is drawn to that middle square, but nothing is happening there. just a minor nitpick obviously as this stuff is pretty cool and has lots of detail already!
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @e-freak Cheers mate, yeah your right, I'll try and think of something to make that area more interesting.

I'm still heading on towards finishing this project, here's my current progress:

- Added color grading
    - Added a few key lights
    - Textured a couple more props
    - Add the smoke / fog particle

0033.jpg

And heres an updated image showing what I feel like I have left to do, as always feedback is more than welcome

FinishingTasks_01-10-2012.jpg
  • kevinob87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kevinob87 polycounter lvl 8
    Looking great so far, I'll definitely be following this!
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    i would get rid of that dof. it feels very unnatural and it didn't really make anything look better.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    I would just turn the DOF down. Not off. But yeah, it's very strong. What kind are your lights? If it's point lights, it's just a matter of enabling light shafts in the settings :)
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kevinob87 Thanks mate

@Blaisoid & @sltrOlsson A few people have mentioned the DoF now so I'm definatly going to change it, I agree with @sltrOlsson though about not removing it completely as it definatly helps soften some of the sharp edges in the background.

@sltrOlsson Thanks for your advice on the light shafts, I'll give it a go but I'm not sure if its going to work as I want it as I'm guessing that the light shafts coming from a point light will originate from a single point but the actual light asset is rectangle.
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I've been trying to finish this up over the last week and here's what I've got, I think I'm about ready to wrap this up and move onto my next project which I'm getting excited about. I'll defiantly keep tweaking a few things but if anyone has anything they want to feedback on, feel free.

ServerRoom1.jpg

ServerRoom3.jpg

ServerRoom2.jpg
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
  • AdelScott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love details in you work.
  • Weazel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fantastic recreation of the concept, i feel my 3D tram station from RazorBs concept art is just slightly under developed now :P
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Fantastic! Looks great