Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Work in Progress Environment - Cavern Temple

Hey all,

Just thought i'd post some early WiP shots of an Unreal environment I have been working amongst other things over the last couple of weeks, since the map is in experimental stages some models are placeholders and I'm aiming to get them replaced this coming week. I'm aiming for a caroon'ish look to this one with plenty of bold colours/textures.
will keep this thread updated as I progress.

shot1l.jpg

shot2m.jpg

shot3c.jpg

Replies

• JayL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apologies for the broken images, all seem to be ok now :)
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    I think the lighting could use some work. On one hand it is underground so you won't expect it to be super bright down there but on the other hand you can't really make anything out! It looks like you've got some nice texture work but I can't see anything.
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    This looks like a nice scene, would love to see it with a little more light.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Same with the others, more light. I think that brighter torches would add a bit more too, maybe some foliage too, like bits of grass here and there. Do you have any references, concepts or inspiration?
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely need more lights in there, the parts i can see look awesome :P
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    see im going to go against the grain and say... DONT ADD TOO MUCH EXTRA LIGHT... seriously i like it dark, AND i bet if you see it in motion the shapes in the dark pop out much more....
    make sure you light important features well BUT its a good way to make an environment LESS expensive by having dark areas where you can have repeating rock with little issue

with new lighting techniques and better light adaption were getting in newer engines we no longer need to be affraid of the dark and can use much more contrasted (realistic) lighting levels.

BUT it depends on what you want to show... if its your assets then you may want to up your lighting somewhat... if its your envionment as a whole i would stick with the hard contrast you have now which gives it that deep underground still air feel that so many games get wrong (usually by design)

EDIT- high contrast lighting like you have can alos give scenes a really nice eye leading quality as the compostion can be really boosted