Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Help-Low POly Bus...

hello guys i want to create a low poly bus without going for highpoly model... as i'm new to gaming assets i need help.. this is an old model which was highpoly actually, so i deleted all of the turbosmooth modifier and also cleaned a bit.. but i guess its still alot of triangles and its not finished yet as i have to make tires and few more things .. i really dnt have any idea
what could be the maximum number of tri i can afford in a lowpoly bus? and how i can make it look better without a highpoly normal map... any kind of help will be really helpful for me.. plz help me :)

bus.jpg

Replies

• jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    Just out of curiosity, why aren't you going for a high to low bake? My guess for a low poly bus in most current gen games would be about 15k tris max, but even that is with a lot of help from a normal map. Things like the front grill, details on the lights, trim around the windows, detail on your wheels, all come from a high poly.
  • takethisfork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In my experience you want it around 5k triangles. It also depends if you're running around inside, whether it's a stripped out wreck or if it's in the distance. Work the textures so it looks interesting and make normal maps in potatoshop if you're loathe to bake high to low. Grills and lights can all be done with normals as can wheel detail. Add some grime and dirt. Always helps. Hope this does.
  • Anxious_Tiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeahh Bro,

as per my prescriptive it will b good for understanding low poly modeling and power of texturing,
    u can do chamfers on main visible edges for showing it smooth, and live smaall parts with hard edges.

and yeahh for head light or any spherical surface you can reduce tricount like this
    http://web.gin.cz/trahern/glTest-wire.gif

it will keep your smoothness and also reduce the tricount.

keep going waiting for updates..

:)
  • dreamer00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordan.kocon- i didnt go for highpoly cause one of my friend who is working in the gaming industry suggested me to try a lowpoly model without highpoly bake as sometimes it is not necessary.. so nothing special ..

takethisfork-- isnt 5k bit low for todays generation ? as i'm not baking normal from highpoly, i have to model few details.. btw can u give me some good low poly bus renders for refrence?

Anxious_tiger- thanks for your valuable comments and tht link...